Using a Machine To Teach Blocking?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Just curious what some of you do to teach blocking. Lastnight I watched two girls in a batting catch block pitches in the "dirt" from a Jugs machine. First thing I thought was is it necessary to use a machine? Isn't the block, not attempt to catch, that is most important and can be taught like Coach Weaver does? Do you really need the added speed? The coach's DD got a stinger to the wrist and looked like she wanted out of the cage. DD is interested in getting in the cage and go against a machine. My DD is several years younger than these girls lastnight, so I'm not sure I want her going against a machine just now.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
The use of a pitching machine for blocking drills is fine. The added speed is a good thing to challenge the girls with. We use them in conjunction with the other blocking drills we use. HOWEVER, and I say again..HOWEVER, the speed must be appropriate for the skill of the catcher. I so often see coaches use the machine to pelt their catchers with missiles and wonder why they are not blocking them. The speed must be appropriate for the skill of the catcher. The other skill that cannot be missed is pitch recognition. I have seen many girls that can block well off a fast pitcher in drills or even a pitching machine, but struggle in games. The problem is they are not "reading" the pitch correctly. My drill for that is discussed in the article at the link below:

http://www.catchingcamp.com/articles/blocking-is-the-easy-part/

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
..HOWEVER, the speed must be appropriate for the skill of the catcher. I so often see coaches use the machine to pelt their catchers with missiles and wonder why they are not blocking them.

This is so true. So many coaches want to start at the finish line rather than the beginning!

Jun 21, 2010
Thank you Coach Weaver for your reply. Yesterday I fired up the Jug machine and we did a blocking practice. Started out with a slow speed and slowly increasing and checking with DD to see what she thought. She did very well, and didn't mind the faster speeds. Knees where sore from going up and down in her stance!

Jul 26, 2010
The last thing you want is to get your catcher afraid of blocking balls. That said, what I usually do when doing this drill is decrease the speed a bit less then what we do BP at. We have the added benefit of having real astroturf with a sand and media base and not just cheap vinyl overlay over bare concrete, so the bounce is more akin to what happens on a field.

Remember, you're trying to teach mechanics here. It's okay if the balls bounce a little more then they normally would, so long as the catcher is using the correct form and motion to block and recover the balls (don't forget to teach them how to pick the ball up and make the play!).

-W

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Another thing that should be considered before throwing a catcher in front of the jugs machine is the skill level of the catcher. I have seen a few well-meaning team coaches put their catchers in front of a pitching machine, turn it on with no instruction and wonder why their catchers aren't blocking. The catcher must first be shown the correct blocking techniques and be fairly comfortable with them. Otherwise the catcher will more than likely walk away feeling utterly defeated. An excellent drill for aiding your catchers on blocking and recognizing pitches and progressing their skills can be found on Coach Weaver's website (Living room pitch recognition) You just can't go wrong with the New England Catching Camp!

Jun 21, 2010
I'm sold on Coach Weaver's style of teaching catchers how to be better catchers. My DD is 12U and isn't scared of the ball. I think I'm overly cautious when it comes to using the Jugs machine. Her only complaint is sore knees, which we will work on soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi