Use of safety base - who's call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
If 1B makes catch while on safety base is that the FU or PU that makes the call? Seems PU would have better angle. Is it an appealable play and if not would it be something a coach could request some help on? Lastly, how much of the safety base would the 1B need to occupy for it to be called - assuming it is improper use (i.e. not a ball/play coming from foul territory)

Jun 22, 2008
Plays at 1st base are the base umpires call. If the defensive coach feels there is something the umpire may have missed they can call time, approach the umpire and ask if they would consult the plate umpire on the specific item the coach feels the umpire may have missed.

As for improper use of the base, if the defensive player is touching any portion of the white base they would be legal. Additionally, current rules interpretations do not limit the use of the safety base to only throws coming from foul territory. If a bad throw pulls the defensive player off of the white portion onto the orange section, it is considered to be legal.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Similar question, what if the runner does not use the safety base and only touches the white portion, are they out even though they do not interfere with the play?

Jun 22, 2008
Similar question, what if the runner does not use the safety base and only touches the white portion, are they out even though they do not interfere with the play?

That is an appeal play that must be made prior to the runner returning to 1st base.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks, I did not explain what I was asking very well. It came up with 1 of the parents during practice, I do not want to hijack the OP's thread anymore then I have. :) Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC