USA Today list of the best D1 colleges for softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
I would think winning percentage not ranking would be one factor that makes list look a little odd. The quality of education, quite a few private schools. Cost of living, graduation rate,... I'm sure it is some complicated measurement.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Interesting....
Theres a few schools listed that I would have never dreamed as being a top 10. This list has little to do with ap polls, but rather a bigger picture of the program as a whole.
Read Notre Dames collumn. It says they've graduated 100% of their players for 10 years in a row! Wow

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Can"t quite figure out the methodology, but fwiw, here's the article:
[/url]

Here is the methodology:

"This article comes from The USA TODAY College partner network. The views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of USA TODAY. You understand that we have no obligation to monitor any discussion forums, blogs, photo- or video-sharing pages, or other areas of the Site through which users can supply information or material. However, we reserve the right at all times, in our sole discretion, to screen content submitted by users and to edit, move, delete, and/or refuse to accept any content that in our judgment violates these Terms of Service or is otherwise unacceptable or inappropriate, whether for legal or other reasons."

i.e. It is an ad for College Factual

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Would love to know how they came up with that list.....I did not even know DePaul had a softball team!

Sep 29, 2014
It say the factors were:

- Athletic Competitiveness (High)
- Overall College Quality (High)...To factor this in, we use our Overall Best Colleges Ranking as a highly weighted aspect.
- Academic Progress Rate (Medium) – Division I Only...The NCAA defines this metric as the following: “The Academic Progress Rate (APR) is a term-by-term measure of eligibility and retention for Division I student-athletes that was developed as an early indicator of eventual graduation rates”.
- Athletic Aid Per Student (Medium) – Division I & II Only:..The DOE publishes the average athletic aid for men, women, and coed teams separately, so depending on the sport, the appropriate measure was used.
- Financial Resources (Medium)..We use a combination of the revenue and expenses of a team from the DOE Equity in Athletics data noted above as a measure of the financial resources available to the team.

Feb 24, 2012
Would love to know how they came up with that list.....I did not even know DePaul had a softball team!

44-11last year, losing to Kentucky in the "if" game of the Lexington Regional after beating UK to force "if" game.

Coach Lenti has a long tradition of success at DePaul, although down this year.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Really? Its better to play for Hofstra than Princeton or MIT?

It's overall softball program. Not strictly academic. Otherwise just list the Ivy schools, Stanford, et. al. in yet another poll.

I do think both Michigan and Alabama should be on that list and close to the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi