USA Elite Select Futures tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Several people had asked me to post about the results, so here they are.
USSSA - United States Specialty Sports Association

She's #680 and apparently she really was the youngest girl there.

It's interesting to me that the way she tried out was kind of the opposite of how she is in games. Her overall pitching score was a 3 and from the comments it seems like she didn't stand out much with pitching. In games, pitching is her strongest asset. Her fielding score was a 3 also and again, her fielding is strong. I think the main issue was it took her several throws to adjust to making it from short to 1B with the 12" ball. But then her hitting was one of the best in the age group. And in actual games, that's where she struggles most. She hits off coaches no matter how fast they throw but when she's facing a 9 or 10 year old pitching she has very little confidence and strikes out a good bit.

It really shows how you can think you're getting one thing when you choose someone from a tryout, and end up getting something totally different. If they did pick her for the team and we ended up playing, they may find they have a much better pitcher and fielder than they expected but they may also be pretty bummed about her hitting. lol

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
She's #680 and apparently she really was the youngest girl there.

did you happen to see #730 and/or #715 throw at all?
These USSSA assessors don't hand out 5s across the board for pitching very often, I've observed form the results posted for regions completed so far.
Impressive for 12Us. And pretty good heat, too.

and #744? that's pretty ridiculous speed (with control) for a U13.
the future of pitching talent in GA looks very strong.
Must have some good instructors down there...

Good luck to your DD. I hope she makes it!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
I actually didn't pay attention to anyone else's numbers but from watching the girls pitch I think I know who some of them are. There was some good pitching talent for sure and like JAD said, probably a lot of the really best of the best don't go out for these things.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
and like JAD said, probably a lot of the really best of the best don't go out for these things.

we are struggling with the decision to tryout for this, as well.
our region is not until early May.

The criticism is:
1) Cost: it's expensive (travel, lodging)
2) Distance: it is far away (Orlando, FL)
3) Timing: it is a whole week long, just about; and occurs immediately after DD's season-ending "Nationals" (in SC)

USSSA is the new kid on the block and is really making a serious push to compete with the PGF's, ASA's, etc. for events and prestige.
They aren't really there - yet. JAD is correct: if this were a PGF-sponsored event, it would draw-out the very best talent.

I know a few pitchers and position players in the region who participated in this USSSA Futures tournament last year (the inaugural year?)
The few I've talked to, did say that it was a positive experience. and that it was HOT. lol.

Apr 11, 2013
Youngest DD tried out in KS back in October. Ended up being a direct select for the Midwest region for the 11's. It was a well run tryout, albeit indoors due to rain. DD can't wait to go to FL in August...I'm sending mom with :)

Jun 12, 2015
Well, I would not have traveled for it. It was about an hour from my house, and I'd probably have driven a bit further for it. But I don't think I'd have sprung for travel expenses to do it. JMO :)

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Well, I would not have traveled for it. It was about an hour from my house, and I'd probably have driven a bit further for it. But I don't think I'd have sprung for travel expenses to do it. JMO :)

just to clarify: I have no issue with the regional tryouts, just the actual tournament in Orlando in August.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
USSSA is the new kid on the block and is really making a serious push to compete with the PGF's, ASA's, etc. for events and prestige.
They aren't really there - yet. JAD is correct: if this were a PGF-sponsored event, it would draw-out the very best talent.

USSSA is trying to compete with ASA and PGF with the addition of their USA Elite Select Nationals in Kansas City, MO July 11-17 (USA Elite Select). This is a team event and USSSA purposely avoided conflicts with ASA and PGF hoping that some teams will do both. It will be interesting to see how this event does in its first year and if any of the Big Dogs show up. Regardless I think it will be much better competition than the USSSA World Series in Orlando, which is basically a B-level tournament.

And just to clarify, the USA Elite Select Nationals and USA Elite Select Futures are two VERY DIFFERENT events. I think USSSA is going to confuse some people since the names are so similar.

Jun 12, 2015
Yes, mine tried out for Futures. They probably should have thought that through during the naming process.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut