Unofficial visit an excused absence from school?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
Now, it may get approved because it is softball related. Weird! I wonder if the softball team hadn't done well, would it be ok? DD is an honor student in top 20% of her class. She has a medical excuse for all absences this year, except for the softball region tournament and state elite 8 championships. Oh and there were a few away games that required leaving school early.

Jan 3, 2014
You should have just lied about it from the start and said she was sick. It's not a great example for your DD, but sometimes you gotta be pragmatic.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
You should have just lied about it from the start and said she was sick. It's not a great example for your DD, but sometimes you gotta be pragmatic.

You're probably right, but the high school coach and a few others at the school know about the trip, so I didn't want a lie to come back and bite DD.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Tell them you're going on a trip, it is none of the schools business where your going and what you're doing. Kids go on trips all the time and the absences are excused...that way you tell the truth to both and you do not have to explain to her why you lied to the school.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location

By high school learning how to lie effectively to play whatever game you are being forced to play by school, work, the IRS etc is an essential tool IMO. How else is a kid supposed to navigate a modern workplace and our tax code? just keeping it real, not raising liars or anything, but show me the rules and I will play the game and my kids will too.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
Actually, it was approved because it is softball related. I'm not sure if that part is good or bad. It also may have helped that the college is in a city that is prominent in US History courses. DD is an honor student. I didn't want her to be unable to make up a test if one was scheduled for the day. One teacher did say that DD was too young for a college visit, but signed the excusal form.

BTW, I think all college visits should be excused, athletic related or not. Ok maybe not all, but 5 per year of high school.

Sep 18, 2011
Actually, it was approved because it is softball related. I'm not sure if that part is good or bad. It also may have helped that the college is in a city that is prominent in US History courses. DD is an honor student. I didn't want her to be unable to make up a test if one was scheduled for the day. One teacher did say that DD was too young for a college visit, but signed the excusal form.

BTW, I think all college visits should be excused, athletic related or not. Ok maybe not all, but 5 per year of high school.

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear that common sense prevailed. Best of luck on the visit - let us know how it goes.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
So it has been 2 months since DD went on her unofficial visits. She had a great time and is more interested in one of the schools now. She is keeping the dialog open with the coach. DD is keeping her options open as she is a sophomore and isn't going to be playing D1 top 25 anyway.

Thanks for all the input!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Interesting to see how every place is different.

In Wisconsin, there is an interesting law put through at the request of the hunters. Parents can take their kids out of school a certain number of days every year for any reason whatsoever, such as family trips. When the kids were younger, we used to often take a week off for Chinese New Year, and visit relatives in NYC.

The law became publicized a few years ago when some parents wanted to take their kids out of school for a protest. A group originally wanted the schools to effectively endorse the protest, but the school district just pointed out what the parents could do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG