Uncaught third strike rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2012
We have a 10u team who is swinging at what would potentially be a third strike before it reaches the plate and running to first in order to take advantage of the uncaught third strike rule. The batters are swinging when the pitch is 2-3 feet from the plate. Are there any ASA rules that they are violating for using this type of tactic? I understand that if the catcher cleanly catches the pitch then the runner is out.

Mar 29, 2012
If you play droppe dthird strike then it is dropped third strike.

Unless the batters are taking off before the ball croses the plate then they are not violating any rule I know of.

You need to really work with your catcher hard to try and make sure the ball is blocked and doesn't get past her. Even if she doesn't catch it, if she can block it correctly the ball will stop in front of her and it should be no problem picking it up and throwing the batter out at first.

Jun 22, 2010
A strike is a "ball swung at and missed by the batter" (among other things).

If they're doing it all the time, you might have a chance of convincing an umpire that they aren't swinging "at" the ball. Good luck with that, though.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If you play droppe dthird strike then it is dropped third strike.

Unless the batters are taking off before the ball croses the plate then they are not violating any rule I know of.

You need to really work with your catcher hard to try and make sure the ball is blocked and doesn't get past her. Even if she doesn't catch it, if she can block it correctly the ball will stop in front of her and it should be no problem picking it up and throwing the batter out at first.

Yes, a well-trained catcher can solve most pitcher-related problems! The New England Catching Camp's (NECC) $40 "A Coach's Guide to Training Catchers" DVD is the benchmark to use for training catchers. It is infinitely more effective than the "just get in front of it and stop it" advice that too many young catchers receive from their well-intentioned coaches/pitcher's parents.

Feb 3, 2011
We have a 10u team who is swinging at what would potentially be a third strike before it reaches the plate and running to first in order to take advantage of the uncaught third strike rule. The batters are swinging when the pitch is 2-3 feet from the plate. Are there any ASA rules that they are violating for using this type of tactic? I understand that if the catcher cleanly catches the pitch then the runner is out.
The problem with a so-called coach employing this so-called strategy is that he's deliberately not teaching the players how to manage their at-bats.

If the count is 0-2, 1-2, or 2-2 and the pitch comes flying in way over the batter's head, yes, an advanced 10u player should swing and race to 1B. But if it's a potentially hittable pitch, 10u batters should be looking to hit it, not swing randomly in hopes that it hits the dirt.

What rule is that? Pitches that are bunted rarely cross the plate.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12