Umps not knowing rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
.do college pitchers do this? I am fairly confident that they put the ball in the glove for at least a second.

What they do and what they are required to do are often separate things. Following are the relevant rules from NCAA, USSSA, and NFHS pitching regulations:

NCAA: 10.2.3 After receiving the signal, the pitcher’s hands must come together in view of the plate umpire for not more than five seconds. Note: The hands do not have to come to a complete stop and, therefore, may be moving during the touch. (Notice that it says touch, implying that is all that is required)

USSSA: 6.1.D After completing “C” (section C refers to taking the signal) above, the pitcher shall bring the hands together in front of the body for not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. The hands may be motionless or moving.

NFHS: 6.1.C After completing “B” (section B refers to taking the signal) above, the pitcher shall bring the hands together in front of the body for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. The hands may be motionless or moving.

Learning opportunity for all of us it seems. USA and NFHS require 1 second, moving or not moving after hands come together. NCAA and USSSA have no stated minimum requirement. Max for all except NCAA is 10 seconds, NCAA is 5 seconds.

Nov 22, 2019
I can understand your frustration and hers. Hard to address this as a spectator and I think the HC should have been the one out there getting a clarification of the ruling with the umpire and insisting he get with his partner since it was a rules question not a judgment.

You are actually lucky you got as far as you did, as an umpire I am not going to discuss ANYTHING with the crowd.

There was only one ump, as it was a 10-U friendly tourney. They were using USA rules, but it was non-sactioned, so one game I saw the teams agreed to USSSA rules.

She was guesting and it was the 1st game of the day, which made it even more difficult. My wife is upset the coach didn’t argue. Seems like 20/20 hindsight to me.

I was behind the bench basically when the ump told her to stop doing it between innings. I went over bc he had told her during the 1st but didn’t enforce it and I don’t think she understood. That’s when I informed him that presenting the ball is not a rule.

After the game I was behind the bench and he looked up the rules to show me, then realized he was wrong and apologized to us. So he admitted he was wrong.

But why not take the minute to look up the rule during the game? I mean girls crow hop all day at 10-U and nothing gets said.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
But why not take the minute to look up the rule during the game?

Because, while I always carry a rule book in my equipment bag, I do not carry it on the field by design. Once you pull it out HCs will want you to go digging in it EVERY TIME just to 'prove' to them in print what the rule is. Having the rule book in the bag is for my partner and I to check on ourselves between games, or for final verification before we mark up a 'P' for a protested game.

I mean girls crow hop all day at 10-U and nothing gets said.

It should get called, every time. Now, think back (and it was just recently a similar thread was active) to the last time someone argued that it is nearly impossible to expect a girl to change her delivery mid-game and umpires should just 'let the kids play.'

Every umpire should make every call every time. Sometimes it is because we don't remember the correct rule (not an excuse just a reason) due to varying codes. Sometimes we realize calling something will create a situation where the game will never end (NEVER an excuse NOR a reason) such as a leap or crow hop, or expanding a strike zone dugout to dugout and nose to toes. Sometimes it might even be because the umpire just doesn't agree with the rule or like its effects (NEVER EVER an excuse NOR a reason, go directly to jail, do not pass GO, do not collect $200) such as "I think she is hi9ding the ball behind her back and want her to 'present the ball'.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
time to call in a resident ump........

@marriard thoughts on the 1 second rule of the hands coming together??

Depends on the org. But for the most part, if you step on the rubber with your hands separated, pause long enough to simulate getting a signal from the catcher before bringing the hands together for a second or more and then start your full motion you are going to be just fine under all rule sets. So just do that.

Honestly, the good Pitching Coaches are teaching their students what is always going to be legal no matter the code. I know DD's PC through her travel years always did just that for all her students.

The reality is that umpires come in lots of forms - from the very casual to the very serious, very experienced to no experience, some up to date, some working with the rule set they learned years ago or on TV or from when they played baseball ---- and everything in between. Someone posted about 'umpires being consistent across the entire group - that is just no realistic way for that to happen.

No one is investing in developing or recruiting umpires and the good ones are REALLY busy. So 1 ump doing a 10U friendly - sometimes you might luck out and get someone good... but a great deal of the time if something (anything?) else is happening the same day, you are going to get whoever happens to be available. And in many cases, there is probably a very good reason why they are available.

The bar to umpire is pretty low because the numbers are so low and we can't afford to turn anyone who is willing away. Most orgs (USSSA for example) - you don't need to be certified in any way to umpire. Basically buy a shirt and equipment and you can go out there. Even in NFHS - the NFHS exam is open book, multi-choice and you have almost 2 months to pass it and a passing grade is 75%. Most of the questions are verbatim straight out of the rule book. And the local umpire group will often have group sessions discussing the questions or even help each other answer questions. Some people STILL fail it.

The NCAA exam was REALLY hard this year and 90% passing grade - they had to allow extra attempts and extra time and wrote basically a guide giving answers because some of the top umps failed it which technically meant they couldn't umpire this season - and that would have been a bad, bad situation.

None of the orgs are helping either with rule sets - this whole pitching change has been a total mess, college rules are massively different to the point where it like umpiring a different sport in many ways (which really messes everyone up when rules are different in travel or high school) and some rules just so poorly written they are REALLY open to interpretation because they could mean almost anything.

As others have mentioned - I am currently working with 4 somewhat similar rule sets for softball, plus several different case books (case books are not rules, but rather an additional book full so of example so of how to interpret the rules) plus 3 different 'umpire mechanics books (i.e. where to stand, where to move and what to do on the field). One of my regular partners who is retired and has more time do umpire than I so does baseball and softball - he says he is working with 8 rule sets. It isn't hard to get messed up in the details.

Some other things:

- I don't talk to spectators about rules - and rarely about anything for that matter. I will say hello if someone says hello when I walk in and say I am doing fine if someone asks (normally they ask about how my DD is doing more than me anyway - she is also doing great). I will talk to coaches about rules or why I ruled that way if they come and ask politely or if they ask at the plate meeting.
- Rules books don't belong on the field. If you think we made a call based on us misinterpreting the rule or having a rule wrong, you are welcome to protest. If you can't protest because it is a friendly scrimmage or whatever, then tough; the umpire's decision is final (that IS in the rule books). If I have doubts about a call, I will look it up or ask another umpire I trust later after my games or between games if I have a break - but not in public. I may talk to a coach (much) later about a ruling I may have got wrong depending on the situation- but not a spectator.
- If you bring a rule book onto the field when I am umpiring, you can just keep walking to the car park, because that will be where you are headed.
- I won't do single-man umpiring in any meaningful game (travel, HS, college, etc). Scrimmages and rec I sometimes do alone (though if I can bring a trainee). Yes I very, very occasionally do a rec game at my local park because the org I am part of runs the rec program and it is right next to my house.

Lastly - I umpire year-round; between replacing/upgrading equipment, replacing shoes, pants and belts, buying so, so many umpire shirts and hats for every org/conference/etc, umpire org fees, clinic fees and various other misc costs; I have to umpire quite a few games before I break even each year. It is one of the more expensive sports I have officiated in terms of ongoing costs and I would say probably the most expensive sport to start umpiring in.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Depends on the org. But for the most part, if you step on the rubber with your hands separated, pause long enough to simulate getting a signal from the catcher before bringing the hands together for a second or more and then start your full motion you are going to be just fine under all rule sets. So just do that.

Underscore and italics is what I always thought it to be. Learn to stay in that lane and you will alway be safe. Otherwise, you look like a quick pitch IMHO and many coaches will call it out to the umps.

Feb 13, 2021
MI

While I agree with strike3's assessment, and yes you will ALWAYS be safe, the pause is NOT necessary under ALL rule sets. A HC may call a quick pitch question out to the umpire, but depending on the rules in place for the specific contest, they may or may no have a valid argument. Is it best to learn from the start a routine that will serve you through your entire career? Absolutely. Are the rules likely to change during your career? Perhaps. Are you quick pitching if you do not' have a full second pause in your motion today? Depends on the rule set.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"Hey, the guy is getting paid $35.00 for the privilege of umping my DD's game. He should be spending his spare time learning all the different rule sets, so he can get his pay bumped up to $38.00."

IMHO, people who ump these days are bordering on insanity.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
While I agree with strike3's assessment, and yes you will ALWAYS be safe, the pause is NOT necessary under ALL rule sets. A HC may call a quick pitch question out to the umpire, but depending on the rules in place for the specific contest, they may or may no have a valid argument. Is it best to learn from the start a routine that will serve you through your entire career? Absolutely. Are the rules likely to change during your career? Perhaps. Are you quick pitching if you do not' have a full second pause in your motion today? Depends on the rule set.
can you show me where a quick pitch is legal? Please share the rule on this. Not saying it doesn't exist and would like to see it in the rule book. Please share.

Aug 25, 2019
I believe a quick pitch is a "no pitch" call. It only is called when the batter is not ready.

USA RULES: Quick Pitch: A pitch made with the obvious attempt to catch the batter off balance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd