Umpiring resources

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I am looking a little ahead as DD is in last HS season now. I have quite a few options in directions I will go when she is done but one I am considering is umpiring and continue one on one work with local players.

What are some good resources for beginning umps?

Jun 22, 2008
Contact your local high school governing association, your local ASA etc. ASA does the vast majority of umpire training in my area. High school does a little, but it is much more limited than what ASA provides. Something that really helps here is when you first start they assign you a mentor to work with. You are only assigned games working with this one individual so you arent constantly getting differing opinions. Makes learning much easier.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Thanks comp.
Looks like our state requires you to attend an annual mechanics and an annual rules interpretation meeting. The test is just open book...and done at home.

ASA looks to be just...register and take test....but does offer 2 day training...I don't see that the training is required.

Am I reading this correctly?

Jun 22, 2008
It all depends on what your local area requires. Here in AZ for high school they rate you from 1-4. 1 being a certified umpire, 4 being a beginning umpire. Every year we are required to attend a general meeting, and then depending on your rating a number of rules classes as well as on field mechanics for the beginning umpires. Typically you will not be advanced more than 1 level per year. Each game you are assigned with a certified umpire, the certified is required to fill out an evaluation form on your performance and send it in online. And yes, the test is open book and is taken online.

ASA here typically has an all day rules clinic at the beginning of each year and then many times will also have a mechanics class at some point during the year. Usually they will not assign you games here until you have been partnered with a mentor.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Before you do the training and learn the mechanics, I'd suggest that you confirm that you have the disposition and personality to handle it. I'd suggest getting a job at the State Dept of Motor Vehicles so you can see if you can handle getting yelled at and criticized by the ignorant masses. Either that or take a job as a mute stand up comic and see if you can ignore the audience when they question your talent.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks comp.
Looks like our state requires you to attend an annual mechanics and an annual rules interpretation meeting. The test is just open book...and done at home.

ASA looks to be just...register and take test....but does offer 2 day training...I don't see that the training is required.

Am I reading this correctly?

Unfortunately, if we forced everyone to meet the demanding training that SHOULD be required, games would be cancelled or umpires would be complete burnouts after a couple of years.

However, for those areas which take it seriously, ASA probably has more comprehensive programs available to their local staffs and the possibility of advance training and assignments. Other orgs have training, but as Comp noted and like ASA, it depends on the locals associations as to how much they are willing to invest in the training. Some are, "here's your hat, here's your shirt, give me your check and then you can get your schedule" types, while others demand a certain level of training and organizational decorum before you even see the field.

In my area, the entire training staff have ASA nationals at the highest level of their game under their belt, all are USA/ASA Elite and three of the four are ISF Certified. All attend the Biennial UIC Clinic to catch up on the newest mechanics and interpretations. Support staff has ASA Championship and/or NFHS playoffs experience along with having attended an ASA National School. So here it is taken quite seriously.

Many areas have umpires of this magnitude training other umpires, but all that can be done is offer the training and support. There are days I am proud as hell to see an umpire improve and move up and there are days I wish the rule book and mechanics manual came in a suppository.

Whatever you do, I suggest when you start, pick a particular game/association and stick with that one until you become comfortable with your game. Expand from that point. Too often I see umpires come out and work FP, SP, NFHS, ASA, USSSA, PONY, etc. from the onset of their umpire career and never get any one down pat to the point of over-all competence.

One thing I would like to add to what Comp noted about a mentor, it is good that you have one person to help you. It is also bad that you only have one person to help you. It is a lot like being consistent. It is good unless you are consistently wrong and, unfortunately, some of the veterans who love mentoring other players, don't always adjust with the times and teachings and a new umpire thinks s/he has something down pat, works with another umpire or is evaluated and doesn't understand why they are now being told different. Point being, don't rely on a single-source mentor. If you cannot work with other umpires, go out and watch other umpires. When you notice something that seems off or different, make note of it and then question the UIC or the individual responsible for over-all training. Suggest this be done on the side as to not place anyone in a uncomfortable or embarassing position.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Thanks Gentleman

Greenmonsters: :) Definitely must give that thought! After being involved in FP for 7 years now...and my business is adults competing for money..I think i have been tried by fire in this regards. I must admit though... there are some "crazzy mommas" that still scare me though! :D

Thanks comp and MTR. I have been asking umps after games when I haven't understood a call, and they really have been forth coming and straight forward with their answer. Good ideal on not trying to do to many different ones till I am comfortable.

Are there any good forums worth keeping an eye on, to learn from?

Thank you all again.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
bobbyb,

I did exactly what you are talking about doing. I started umpiring in my DD's Senior year in HS (she's a sophomore playing in college now) and I am glad I did. I coached up through her 18U TB team, and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so as my coaching friends now say, I switched to the dark side.

My advice is to ask the umpires which local association they work for (there should be one or hopefully more than one) and ask for the contact for that and give them a call. They will be helpful in telling you how their association works and how to get started. You can see if its a good fit.

If not, ask them what they did to get started (if they are from your area) and try to figure out how to get plugged in that way. It's been very enjoyable for me and I've been lucky and been able to spend as much time at the ballpark as I did when DD was playing her most aggressive TB schedules.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish