Umpires: Call a STRIKE ZONE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Call the zone the way it should be called

No "whole zone" for me. Anything at or near the letters should be a ball. Really above the naval, should be a ball. Low pitches for strikes are fine, as my DD likes low pitches.

So which is it? Do you want the zone called by the book, or do you want one that your DD likes? Maybe we should have all the umpires watch your daughter play and rewrite the zone so that it suites her.

As for above the navel, those are still strikes (by the book) as long as they are below the armpits.

Jul 2, 2013
So which is it? Do you want the zone called by the book, or do you want one that your DD likes? Maybe we should have all the umpires watch your daughter play and rewrite the zone so that it suites her.

As for above the navel, those are still strikes (by the book) as long as they are below the armpits.

I WANT THE ZONE WHICH MAKES MY DD GO .... D..E..E..P...

I don't care about what the book says. And I don't complain when I don't get it.

For me though ... outside strikes are fine. Inside ... by the book. We like low ... low is good. High ... nah ... the naval is fine. THAT IS WHERE I WANT THE STRIKE ZONE.

But you know what ... I DON'T go WAAAHHHH .... WAAAHHHH .... WAAAHHH ... when I don't get it !!!!!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
I am a hitters dad. I like a tight strike zone. Call me crazy.

Pitchers intentionally throw off the plate, and beg, sometimes scream to get the call. Too bad I say.

Call the zone the way it should be called ... don't give a few inches here and there, and the hitters will produce.

Sorry, pitchers dads. The good part is at the higher levels, the strike zone keeps getting smaller and smaller (and more true). Deal with it.

If you think it is "putting the ball on a tee" ... it is not. Spin the ball, move the ball, pitchers. Great hitters will hit flat speed OUT more than not, in a nice tight strike zone, as it should be.

You can't have it both ways. No pitcher I know of is asking for "off the plate" to be called a strike. Just call the bleeping strike zone, that's all we ever ask. As of right now I can tell you that umpires are NOT calling the strike zone as it is defined in the rule book. Glad you're happy about that. Personally I'm not into double digit scoring in my diamond sports.

And for that matter how about we tell the hitters to swing the stupid bat. I wish I had a dollar for every batter I've watched who won't swing unless it's a fat pitch cause she knows the umpire doesn't have the guts to ring her up.

Jul 2, 2013
Have watched thousands of pitches.

Anything above the navel is suspect. At the letters is a ball. This under the armpits stuff is pure fantasy. Kneecaps a strike, below that, a ball.

Outside pitches get called strike a full ball width out, sometimes more. Inside pitches by the book.

That is what is being called at the highest level of softball. Stick your head in a "book" if you want, and complain because your DD is a pitcher.

Or go to the ballpark, watch closely, and ADAPT ... quit bitchin ... and learn how to win.

As a hitter ... crowd the plate ... make the outside pitches your bread and butter DEEP, opposite field. Fight off, or jump on inside pitches. Lay off any rise ball, as you can tell by the release. Jump on low fast/drop balls in the zone. That is how you hit at the highest level. Battle the change-ups, as many drop out of the zone at the plate.

From a right handed power hitter.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013

Anything above the navel is suspect. At the letters is a ball. This under the armpits stuff is pure fantasy. Kneecaps a strike, below that, a ball.

Outside pitches get called strike a full ball width out, sometimes more. Inside pitches by the book.

That is what is being called at the highest level of softball. Stick your head in a "book" if you want, and complain because your DD is a pitcher.

Or go to the ballpark, watch closely, and ADAPT ... quit bitchin ... and learn how to win.

As a hitter ... crowd the plate ... make the outside pitches your bread and butter DEEP, opposite field. Fight off, or jump on inside pitches. Lay off any rise ball, as you can tell by the release. Jump on low fast/drop balls in the zone. That is how you hit at the highest level. Battle the change-ups, as many drop out of the zone at the plate.

I agree. It is completely unreasonable for people to expect rules to be adhered to. The other day a girl got called out for missing second base, she was totally close to it and it was a stand up triple. She should not have been out. That's all I hear at the park, complaining! Everyone wanting everyone else to follow the rules! The game would be so much better if we could pick and choose what rules to enforce and when to enforce them. If a batter can get in their stance and touch the ground with the bat, why limit the zone to the knees? I mean it is unrealistic to expect the top of zone, so why should they enforce the bottom?

Jan 23, 2009

Are you saying that the "whole ball" should be below the naval?
Because, by the book, the whole ball has to be inside the zone at the top.

If you are saying any piece of the ball at the naval, then that is basically "by the book" since the "whole ball" would be below the sternum... which is what the defined zone is.

And as for pitching strategy...

See the batter crowd the plate... pound them in on the hands and up and in over the bat handle.
Mix in a front-door curve started at their hip.
And don't worry about drilling them. It takes 4 hit batters to score a run.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06