Umpire positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Just a discussion we were having last tourney about ump positioning. When we have a R2, the BU goes way over towards third for the pitch. The problem I have is that in this situation for ever 1 close play at 3rd, we get 10 at 1st so they go out of their way to put themselves out of position for 90 percent of the calls. I was just trying to figure out why this is done. I'm in no way being critical of the umps, I just question where they are positioned.

Jun 22, 2008
With a runner on 2nd, the umpire should be positioned just off the left shoulder of the SS. But, to answer your question umpire positioning is based on always trying to keep the umpire ahead of the lead runner. Yes there are likely to be far more calls at 1st base than at 3rd, but the vast majority of plays at 1st are standard force plays where plays at 3rd are more likely to be tag plays.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
In addition, a runner at second or third base is much closer to scoring, so having an umpire near that runner(s) is more important to get the plays that are made on those runners correct.

You are probably pretty close in your estimate that 90% of the plays are made at first base, but those 10% that happen at third can be more critical in the context of the game.

Sep 5, 2012
With a runner on 2nd, the umpire should be positioned just off the left shoulder of the SS. But, to answer your question umpire positioning is based on always trying to keep the umpire ahead of the lead runner. Yes there are likely to be far more calls at 1st base than at 3rd, but the vast majority of plays at 1st are standard force plays where plays at 3rd are more likely to be tag plays.

Wrong side........

Mar 2, 2013
The second a clinician starts referring to "shoulders" you should stop listening. Players go all over the place and I can care less where they go. With R2 as the lead runner, the umpire should be 20-30 feet from 2nd base. With R3 as the lead runner, the umpire should be 20-30 feet from 3rd base.

Dec 11, 2010
Okay, I have been griping about this for a month and I have seen more wrong calls than right on runners sliding into 3rd from second.

Base ump is always behind the play. It's base umps call. I get that. Still, the plate ump usually has a clear view of the play albeit from much farther away. Even base umps who do a good job are screwing this call up constantly because they can't see the tag or the runners foot and most of the time the bag. I know the base umps are positioning themselves as they are trained to because they are all in the very same crappy position to make the same crappy call.

Is it possible to improve this situation?

Jun 22, 2008
You think the BU missed something and the PU had a better look at it, call time and ask if the BU will check with his partner on specifically what you felt he may have missed. Otherwise the only way you are going to get an umpire ahead of the lead runner at all times is to pay for 3 umpires.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The second a clinician starts referring to "shoulders" you should stop listening. Players go all over the place and I can care less where they go. With R2 as the lead runner, the umpire should be 20-30 feet from 2nd base. With R3 as the lead runner, the umpire should be 20-30 feet from 3rd base.

And people think I'm anal. It's a reference point, nothing more. You want to make an argument over nothing. How and the hell can you whine about "shoulders" and then offer distances as an alternative?

Total junk. The preferred position of the umpire should be where there is the least resistance and clearer path to the most likely play. That is usually to the side of the SS that is toward the lead runner. This is real simple since the umpire has the lesser amount of time to react to a pick-off than a stolen base attempt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs