Two man umpire crew mechanics / responsibilites.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Can one of the umpires here tell me what the mechanics are for a two man crew are with respect to watching base runners?

Had a situation today. 14U A level. R1 on 1st 1 out. High, deep fly ball to LF. R1 tags up. LF drops the ball. The BR is going full speed down the line to first. R1 was stuck waiting at the base for the catch/drop. The BR rounds and just passes R1 because of the delay. After the play I approached the HP umpire and asked him why the BR was not called out for passing the leading runner? He said ask my partner. I asked the BU why the BR was not called out. He looked at me like I had three heads and could not answer me. Right there I knew neither one of them were watching the runners and any further argument was pointless.

My question is this. Who is responsible for watching the runners in that situation? I believe it's the BU because the HP umpire has the responsibility for determining if a ball is caught or not. I think the BU became a spectator.

Thanks

Jun 22, 2008
Depends on what bases and how many runners. With just a runner on 1st the tag responsibilities for that runner as well as the batter/runner belong to the base umpire. With multiple runners, the catch/no catch as well as lead runner tag up belong to the plate umpire. Trailing runners and batter/runner belong to the base umpire. Any runner at 3rd as well as catch/no catch belong to the plate umpire.

Mar 2, 2013
Can one of the umpires here tell me what the mechanics are for a two man crew are with respect to watching base runners?

Had a situation today. 14U A level. R1 on 1st 1 out. High, deep fly ball to LF. R1 tags up. LF drops the ball. The BR is going full speed down the line to first. R1 was stuck waiting at the base for the catch/drop. The BR rounds and just passes R1 because of the delay. After the play I approached the HP umpire and asked him why the BR was not called out for passing the leading runner? He said ask my partner. I asked the BU why the BR was not called out. He looked at me like I had three heads and could not answer me. Right there I knew neither one of them were watching the runners and any further argument was pointless.

My question is this. Who is responsible for watching the runners in that situation? I believe it's the BU because the HP umpire has the responsibility for determining if a ball is caught or not. I think the BU became a spectator.

Thanks

Did BR completely and fully pass R1?

Mar 2, 2013

Thanks

Did BR completely and fully pass R1?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Thanks

Not being a spectator is one of the hardest habits for newer umpires to break. But to answer your question, unless the BU goes out (into the outfield to see the catch/no catch), s/he is responsible for all single runners and definitely all runners on 1B. Just as a sidenote, it is not unusual for a PU to communicate to the BU that s/he will assume the tag up responsibilities for a runner which is in his line of vision watching for the ball (i.e., a runner on 1B on a ball toward the RF line).

In your case, assuming the BR physically and completely (passed, not along side) the R on 1B, the BU was responsible to see that occur. However, as it pertains to this situation, how does a BR not notice a runner standing on 1B? How does the BR round 1B and not run into the R?

Something doesn't sound right.

Nov 29, 2009
Not being a spectator is one of the hardest habits for newer umpires to break.

The exact opposite. Much older gentleman with a lot of years of experience.

However, as it pertains to this situation, how does a BR not notice a runner standing on 1B? How does the BR round 1B and not run into the R?

Again, it was a high, deep ball. My left fielder was camped under the ball just in front of the fence. It was a ball that is caught 99% of the time. Speedy BR heading down the line full speed like she's supposed to. The ball was dropped as the BR was almost to 1st base. R1 was tagged up waiting for the catch. R1 took two or three steps and then hesitated for a split second after the initial ball touch by fielder before realizing the ball was in and out of the glove. The BR had a full head of steam going into 1st base. Both runners and 1b coach were watching the ball and reacting to the drop. I'm guessing after the drop the BR saw 1b was not occupied and never slowed down.

It was a case of both runners reacting to a ball that is normally caught, but dropped.

And, yes, the BR did pass R1 by a step.

Sep 5, 2012
Where were you when all of this occurred?

I ask because it's all about angles. What looked like a step from one angle may not look like the same thing from a different one!

A tag up of a single runner is usually the BU's responsibility. I say 'usually' because if he goes out to view the catch the PU assumes the responsibility. Under normal circumstances, the BU will come inside the IF on fly balls to the OF. He will assume a position that allows him to see both the runners, the catch & still allows him to stay ahead of any potential play. with that said, I don't know if he would've had seen the same thing that you saw. He would have to have a clear indication that the preceding runner's entire body was past the lead runner. I don't know if, "a step" would've given him that indication.

Nov 29, 2009
Where were you when all of this occurred?

In the first base dugout less than 30 feet from 1st base.

I say 'usually' because if he goes out to view the catch the PU assumes the responsibility. Under normal circumstances, the BU will come inside the IF on fly balls to the OF. He will assume a position that allows him to see both the runners, the catch & still allows him to stay ahead of any potential play

The umpire was a VERY experienced gentleman. He did try and move as quickly as he could to and from the A, B and C positions between hitters. Other than that he was a tree.

He would have to have a clear indication that the preceding runner's entire body was past the lead runner. I don't know if, "a step" would've given him that indication.

Normally I would agree with you. However, when I asked him about it and got nothing but a blank stare I knew he never even looked at it. At least the Plate Umpire was quick enough to say "Ask my partner." because he did not see it and knew the correct mechanics.

Mar 2, 2013
In the first base dugout less than 30 feet from 1st base.

The umpire was a VERY experienced gentleman. He did try and move as quickly as he could to and from the A, B and C positions between hitters. Other than that he was a tree.

You have to love these umpires who use their energy to run around after a play, but exert almost no energy to get into position for the play itself. They think they look athletic because they can drop their head and run to a new position. The reality is, if it was one or the other, they ought to be moving into position for the calls themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45