Tryouts???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Tryouts for DD start Monday. They have three days of pitchers & catchers, followed by three days of the full team. Out of 25 total players, 13 are pitchers & catchers (6 pitchers, 7 catchers). They’re all legit travel players, at least five college commits.

There’s a big group of talented freshmen, of which DD is one. They will most likely have JV and varsity, the biggest question is whether they keep all the freshmen together as JV or put a couple of the most talented girls on varsity and then have to ‘demote’ some returning players (there was no JV last year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Our tryouts start Monday (3/7). We'll go M/Tu/Wed with Thurs used for anything extra that coaches need to see and Friday will be the 1st team practices. There's a chance of rain/snow 3 days next week, so we'll be stuck in a gym. Hopefully we get out before our first scrimmage on the 18th.

We should have 26-30 tryout for jv/v. JH (7th/8th grade) is looking like 20, which makes it tough for two teams. I'm hoping a couple 9th graders who are new to the game decide to come out and they could play JH ball to help their numbers.

We graduated 7 starters (6 full time/1 part time) from a very talented squad, 6 of those are playing a sport in college. Hopes are high for a number of younger players. We have some very talented freshman and sophomores. Of our potential 30, 18 are freshman/sophs. They are going to really push a few juniors, and make me have some tough conversations if things go as I think they might. It's going to be fun watching them compete for their spots.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That was petitioned for in Illinois a few years ago ('18 maybe?). It didn't make it past the initial stage to where it would have been voted on.

Because it was just about moving softball, not flipping softball and volleyball, which is the only way it could possibly work.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Our tryouts start Monday (3/7). We'll go M/Tu/Wed with Thurs used for anything extra that coaches need to see and Friday will be the 1st team practices. There's a chance of rain/snow 3 days next week, so we'll be stuck in a gym. Hopefully we get out before our first scrimmage on the 18th.

We should have 26-30 tryout for jv/v. JH (7th/8th grade) is looking like 20, which makes it tough for two teams. I'm hoping a couple 9th graders who are new to the game decide to come out and they could play JH ball to help their numbers.

We graduated 7 starters (6 full time/1 part time) from a very talented squad, 6 of those are playing a sport in college. Hopes are high for a number of younger players. We have some very talented freshman and sophomores. Of our potential 30, 18 are freshman/sophs. They are going to really push a few juniors, and make me have some tough conversations if things go as I think they might. It's going to be fun watching them compete for their spots.
We likewise had, I think, 31 girls tryout for JV and Varsity. Varsity squad will be 16 players. As with last season, Varsity is still a relatively young team. We only graduated two seniors last year (1 starter, 1 part time). This year there are 5 seniors on the team, at least two of whom should be pushed by underclassmen to hold on to their spots in the lineup and another who has been battling injuries.

May 20, 2015
our girls basketball is in the state finals tomorrow, so they haven't done spring sign ups yet......i suspect we'll get 20-25 and will have a full JV this year; hopefully we a) find teams to play and b) have split practices - last year they only had 16 total girls, so everyone was at every practice, and it got to be a little much.....not so much because of numbers, but disparity of skill

we graduated one from an undefeated state title team......4 seniors in the startling lineup, 2 committed.......for class C this will be a solid, solid lineup.....if we don't repeat, it's our own fault

nice thing is the freshman class will be big.......we'll have legit competition to make the varsity squad (i think we'll keep 12 and then have a few swing)......there will be heavy comp for the one open starting job, and an incumbent starter or two will be pushed, at least for ABs (i could see a scenario where a returning starter could be flexed for sure)

gonna be fun.......the 21st can't come soon enough

Oct 10, 2018
Our HS is doing tryouts the week that spring sports open - 3/14. Varsity opened up 5 spots this year. The HC is the wrestling coach (and that team is State Ch. good) so we don't hear from him until the first day of spring sports. Although this year he hired a new HC and will be AC, I'm a little skeptical about what's going to happen. The new HC has been pretty responsive to me (I run the new booster club that was started last year) but she's been less responsive with the local rec league that tried to offer her free time at their facility for the V/JV girls to get together and practice. Meanwhile the other school this rec league feeds into was given the same offer, they took it, and 20 girls signed up. I guess we'll see what happens. Always an adventure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00