Tryouts???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My point was you know enough about the swing (for example) to get a feel, just by watching them, for whether a kid has a chance against better competition.
Thank you and I would hope that I do. We do get around to watching them play. Right now, I mostly do so as they play against my Great Niece who is a player. As a freshman, she will start in the circle for another school and hit in the upper part of the lineup.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Where I live, lacrosse is king for girls, so we're lucky to get 17 girls for JV and Varsity. We start informal workouts today and tryouts Monday. There a lot riding on my two daughters shoulders (they're the batter), so I'm just hoping we get two decent players. We only lost two seniors, one of whom never played, and the other teams around us lost key players. My biggest concern, other than workload for my daughter, is a competing HS hired a former D2 coach of 20 years. He will bring out the best in a mediocre team that could surprise everyone.

It should be a fun season.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Last night was the last night of tryouts. In saying that, I didn't want to be a part of that process other than submitting my observations. I don't want to see the tears. I worked with hitters in the cage as that part of the process happened. I do know that each player was told what was expected of them if they made the team and what reasons prevented others from making the team.

Side notes:
  1. You could tell that some of these players were nervous on cut day. Traditionally, I have felt that some players know just where they stand when they see the level of ability of those trying out for the same positions.
  2. I believe at least two varsity starters have serious competition for their spots from talented freshmen. They were told that in the face to face when they were told that they were on the team.
  3. IMO, we had one really nice surprise in players trying out. I had never seen her play and she can play. I thought that so many others really improve over this last summer.
  4. Right at the time we can get on the infield, rain is in the forecast. Sure it is! LOL
Well, that wraps up my posts on our tryouts. Still, feel free to let us know how it goes for you and/or your player.

Jul 1, 2019
Our tryouts are Mar 7&8th. We've been in winter workout mode since the middle of December, twice a week so the coaches pretty much know what they've got. We graduated 6 seniors so that would seem like it opens up some room, however this year we've got 38 girls (7 seniors, 14 juniors, 10 sophs, 7 freshman) attending the workouts so it'll be interesting on what he does for varsity. I'd estimate 12-15 of those play at least moderately high level (regional) travel ball, four are college committed. HC is not known for putting freshman on varsity with only one or two exceptions over his 5-6 yrs as HC, he also will not play Jr's and cannot play Sr's on JV. I'm not exactly sure how many he's keeping for each team this year, I believe last year was 18 each, JV and Var, though some of the JV girls floated up to varsity for several games.

DD is a freshman and feels very confident with her skill set in the field and offensively, realistically top 10 all round and possibly top 5. She's a high level pitcher in the travel scene and by all estimates the best candidate here, but who knows with the seniority consideration. There are currently 1 junior, 3 soph, and 2 freshman pitchers trying out. DD has always got great feedback from HC and teams pitching coach at the workouts so we're feeling cautiously optimistic. Guess we'll know shortly, T minus 5 days and counting.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Serious question. How can you have tryouts when the first practice is not until Monday?
Ldcnija.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Up until the beginning of Feb, we weren't sure if there would even be a team. The school had a new coach lined up, but the candidate backed out as the last minute. The school had to start the process of finding a coach all over again, and we don't exactly have a line of people itching for the gig. Thankfully, they got coaches (3 total, including a returning AC who can't take the HC spot because of work). The Varsity HC is inexperienced, but at least it's something.

At the beginning of Feb, it was announced that there would be tryouts. 34 girls showed up. Most of them had never been on a softball field before. 4 days of tryouts resulted in a Varsity team, a JV team, and 8 players cut. The Varsity team includes 3 TB players (my DD, and 2 freshmen), a couple of girls that had rec ball experience, most with only HS experience, and 1 senior that has never played before (seniors are on varsity, regardless of ability). Thankfully, one of those freshmen TB players is a pitcher, and she's a small step better than the senior P that graduated last year. The other freshman TB player will play SS (she usually plays 3B). Overall, I expect the same results as last year - get stomped by the top 4 teams in the league, and beat up the bottom 3.

The JV team is all girls who have never played the game before. The JV HC is a former college player in her mid-20s. She has a lot of work to do, but seems to have a good idea about what she's doing.

The varsity team had their first game on Tuesday. It went as expected...10-0 loss. There were quite a few physical errors, but I was pleased to see that the mental intent on every play was correct. Freshman P pitched very well, and my DD is excited to work with her. The better players put balls in play, but they only managed 1 hit. The weaker players struggled.

This is my DD's senior season, and she's the only player currently on the team that has been varsity all 4 years. She's doing a very good job being a leader for the young team around her.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad