Tryouts???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Today is/was the first day of tryouts for my state. Things went well. We had good numbers and a bunch of young ladies who can play. I think out of all those who tried out, only one or two played rec. We had 6 hitting stations so that I could get a good look at these hitters doing some drill work and then to see them hit balls in flight. The team took infield off of a turf infield and that went well. Tomorrow will be all things outside as the weather will be pretty good including hitting off of some pitchers that we know have been throwing all offseason and are ready to face some hitters. BTW, not much coaching. We want to see what they know and what skills they have.

Again, how have tryouts been?

Sep 19, 2018
No try outs yet. My dd is in 7th grade. Tryouts start March 21. But her Middle School Basketball coach is the HS varsity coach. At the end of the basketball season, she invited my dd to the HS offseason workouts. After much worrying my very shy 7th grader really enjoyed the workouts. They end this week as the HS starts tryouts next week.

May 20, 2015
march 21 is our start date.....we get a week of throwing/conditioning only, so tryouts actually start the 28th

we won't be outside until early to mid april

Jun 20, 2015
State of Ohio official season started 21 Feb. So, like the entire start was in try out mode. Some actual try outs with cuts, some proforma type tryouts.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I wanted to post a commentary on last night but it might not be right for me to do so. Instead, I'll post a comment or two. Leadership is not something that can be assigned in my opinion. It is! Yesterday, I witnessed a couple of players step up big time and I commented to each that they showed that outstanding quality. If a freshman is trying out and a varsity coach asked them to do something, I don't think that "no" is a good response. I loved seeing the players competing for positions. We have a few spots open and it shows that there is a lot of hunger for those positions. Some players are asking to change positions to try to get those open spots. A few more observations:

1. Tryouts are often limited in time. When you have so many players trying out, players often don't understand the necessity of showing what they can do when in front of a coach. For example, when coaches walk around looking at players, that isn't the time to switch because you are nervous in front of the coach.
  2. Personally, I don't like the look of a dozen TB team uniforms in a tryout. I'd rather have some type of clothing that has player names on them. We have PE clothing that has player names on them. That makes it a lot easier for me to write comments down and move on to the next player.
  3. Safety is always a huge concern both in tryouts and practice. If you are messing around, that is not a good thing. Often it is unsafe.
  4. I LOVE PLAYERS WHO JUMP IN AND HELP WITH EQUIPMENT. Last night, upper-class players really stepped up.
  5. Personally, I think it is appropriate for a player to say "no" when another player ask to use their bat in tryouts/practice. We do have equipment and yes, it is old. Still, I would not want my dd to loan her Zillion Dollar bat to another player to use.
  6. In a tryout, you have to anticipate all types of things and yes, you might have to hit off of a machine.

Well those are a few thoughts. Thoughts are welcomed.

Apr 1, 2017
Tryouts?

Huh?

Oh yeah, my stupid state has High School softball as a Fall sport. :(
That was petitioned for in Illinois a few years ago ('18 maybe?). It didn't make it past the initial stage to where it would have been voted on.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Tryouts in VA started 21 February. In our case, they lasted three days. First day the girls were there for over 5 hours (day off from school). Varsity roster will have 16 girls, which includes 3 Freshman as well as one Sophomore who played JV last year. Regular practices are now in full swing. Team has a double-header scrimmage against two out of district schools this coming Saturday. Believe our first game is on March 16th. They will be playing about 20 games in the regular season.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00