Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2009
Can some give the specifics on what to look for during player evaluations, drills and such? We are stating a new team so we're basically starting from scratch. When and how sould you inform players if they make the team? How to handle parents? How to have an efficient tryout so we give a good impression?We have about 15 players trying out, don't want to much idle time! Iv'e coached before but never been involved in the tryout process.
THanks, 1999coach

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
You need to see who is hustling, who wants to be here. Notice who has talent, who has potential. I think that you should make phone calls to inform players of whether or not they made the team. Before you start, inform them of the necessary information that you need to know when forming a team--what the practices will be like, how many games you'll play, the cost of this program, what will be expected of them, etc. If possible, try to get some experienced, older softball players to come watch and help run things. Since they are closer in age to the kids than you are, they will be able to get a good feel on who clicks and meshes with the girls (because bonding is a big part of that). If you have two girls that are same skill-wise and are looking to add one more player to your roster, you're much better off going with the girl that will fit in with the group. Having a couple of 16U, 18U, or HS softball girls around could be very beneficial because you won't be able to see everything.

Most definitely take notes!

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You didn't say which age group this is for. I asked basically the same question on another forum and have some evaluation sheets with a time line that was sent to me. I can send them to you if you like. Shoot me your email.

As far as what I am going to do is have the pitchers and catchers arrive 1 hour early to evaluate them. Once warmed up we look at the pitchers, see what they can throw while also looking at the mechanics to the catchers. Once the pitchers have thrown all their pitches we start the catcher evaluation (we have the pitchers cover the bases as fielders). We time the catchers pop to pop times. We have them do a few snap throws to 1B, then pick off throws to both 1B and 3B.

By that time, the rest of the players should be getting there. After everyone signs in they stretch and warm up. The 1st Drill we do is split everybody up evenly at all the bases. The ball starts at home. Home throws to 2B, then starts running to 1st. 2B then throws to get the runner going to 1B, and she runs to 3rd. 1B throws to get the runner going to 3rd.... and so on we do that about 20 min.

Then we time the players base running. Home to 1st X2, and Home to Home X2.

Then we break the group into 2 groups. Group 1 is evaluated on fielding and throwing both on the infield and the outfield. Group 2 is hitting. Depending on how many girls determines the time, but typically 30 minutes should do the trick. Then the groups switch.

Once we are done with that, we will look at their base running and sliding. 1st off is a steal of 2B. We look to see if the players know how to hook slide or if they even think of doing it. Then we go from 1st to 3rd with the appropriate slide. Then we do 1st to 3rd with a head first slide (we just want to see if the kids are even willing to try it if they have never done it before). Finally we line up on the foul line and do lead offs with a dive back or go as the coach directs.

We finish off with about 10 minutes left and that leaves time to go to center field and explain that we will call within 48 hours.

Dec 8, 2009
The age group will be 12u.I know that there will be varying skill levels that show up, they will all bring their A game and have a good tryout.We understand that we will be a new team but we still want to be competitive. Hopefully we get a good group of players who want to play at a higher level.
Thanks, 1999coach

Mar 15, 2010
For Rec Ball my tryout approach is very similar to Coach Kevin. For my travel team the tryouts are much different and are position focused. When the girls sign in for tryouts they have to list their #1 and #2 preferred positions. I use this information to put them through a tryout at their #1 position that tests basic and advanced skills. Below is an example of a 1st Base tryout. Based upon the results of the tryout in position #1 me and my coaching staff will decide whether to then have her tryout in her #2 preferred position or a position we feel will suit her better. Once tryouts are complete we inform the player no more than 48 hours later.

1st Base
i. Basic Position Skills
ii. Stretch
iii. Scoop/Short Hop
iv. Cover Line (Backhand LH)
v. Pick-Off Coverage/Plays
vi. Base Stealing Coverage/Plays
vii. Bunt Coverage/Plays
viii. Base/Overthrow Coverage
ix. Double Plays
x. Run Downs/Pickle

Feb 24, 2010
I also like to look at coachability (self explanatory) and what may be called the "drama factor" - was she on her cell up until the moment to take the field and checks it during water breaks, does she have a parent yelling instructions from the bleachers, does she give faces when we do drills that she doesn't like, etc. Don't think I'm being sexist on this because this was given to me by a baseball coach.

I personally don't want to have to deal with ANY of these issues during training and the season, and would much rather take a lesser skilled girl over someone who feels entitled.

Jul 28, 2008
Speed and athletic ability. If they have that, pick the one's with speed. Stay away from high maintenance kids and parents. Then pick the one's with speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad