Tryouts/Clinics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 13, 2022
Looking for tips on how to organize/run upcoming 8U tryouts

…also interested in ideas for a clinic or two and how a single two hour softball clinic differs from a practice

TYIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 15, 2021
Not sure if this is for Rec ball or travel. If Rec ball, I would call them evaluations, and you are really just trying to make sure the teams are evenly matched. We generally ran all the girls through the following stations when we had large groups. For 8U, you need to keep them moving because they get bored quickly. For 8U, it should be pretty basic stuff.
1. 5 throws to a helper. Looking at throwing technique, accuracy and strength
2. Fielding multiple ground balls and throwing to first base or a net.
3. Thrown fly ball
4. Hitting off a coach pitch, or a tee depending on the group.
5. Hold pitchers after to evaluate separately and let others go.

Evaluators were the would be coaches for the teams.

Advice for clinics for 8U would be to have lots of helpers and many stations to keep the groups small so the girls are always moving. Keep it fun and incorporate some little competitions into the clinic. At 8U, you have got to make it fun!

Nov 13, 2022
Thank you
Our rec season is wrapping up so this is for travel/comp ball
The league is holding tryouts for all divisions, 8U-18U but our numbers for 8s aren’t large so we won’t have any cuts. It is really an evaluation rather than a tryout as everyone will make the team
I don’t yet have an assistant coach and the 8U field is smaller and not so near the other age divisions so I will be running things basically alone (think they may send a couple of middle schoolers to assist)
I’ve coached this level before but have never organized a tryout so am just a little nervous; think I’ve got it

Going to evaluate their throwing and catching during warmup partner throw/catch
Then hit them grounders to throw back
Then the same with pop flys
Will them test their throws to first from Short after fielding a ball

They’ll each get 8 pitches to hit

I’ll then time their run to first, then their time around all the bases
and finish up with pitchers/catchers

Going to start and finish with
“about me-s” and some cheers

Maybe incorporate a fun relay or something too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
When throwing coach pitch, throw from about 25 feet and DO NOT put excessive arch on the pitch. Throwing super slow with a lot of arch actually makes it harder to hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying