tryout offer question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I would hope that if they had a deadline, then they would have stated it and not tell us a week later when we call to commit that they no longer have the slot.

Yocoach, how can we tell about playing time? We know this is a very good team with a good reputation, etc. and play a better schedule than DDs been playing - we're not very familiar with the girls yet and how DD compares. We asked about playing time and were told she'll be given a lot of opportunities and it will be up to her which is understandable.

We emailed them a few questions and got responses along with an offer to attend a practice this week, which is really great because it will help my daughter know more about the team, their skills, etc. and where she feels she fits in, and also she'll get a better idea of how she feels about the coaches. Maybe then we'll have a better idea of how DD compares.

Many parents have a tendency to wear the rose colored glasses when watching their DD compete, practice, etc. etc. and most think that their talented DD is better at position X than the other player that gets a majority of the PT at that position. I'm not saying you're that way, just that many are. There is only one opinion that matters on a team and that is the HC's. Go to a practice and see how she compares against the other players. After practice, ask the HC where he sees her playing at and if shes good enough at that position to get a majority of the playing time. If they say that she'll probably play or only sit a minimal amount of time because she'll be playing multiple positions, and most importantly, you've checked out this HC's reputation about keeping his word, then go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors