Trying to convince the player/parent change is good.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
I am the JV HC so it is actually my task to teach and prepare these players for the next level (Varsity and possibly beyond). Thus I feel a responsibility for making sure their basic skill set allows them to be competitive if not succeed when they get promoted. To that end I spend a great deal of time watching videos of elite college hitters and they all swing level or slightly up so I believe I'm on the right path.

I talked to the Varsity HC about this and was told to let the player do it their way during fall ball and if/when they struggle then we suggest they make changes which seems to be a logical approach.
This was going to be my exact suggestion...if she can belt line drives into the gaps with that swing...don't mess with success, if she struggles just let dad know the reason she is batting ninth is that is you still want speed at the bottom of the line up but she because she can't drive the ball and her OBP is low cant justify that 1 or 2 spot

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
What I understand to be a level swing greatly limits the amount of time the bat stays in the plane of the ball. Check the excellent threads here on hitting, but in short and oversimplified, hands are the key to contact and legs are the key to power. If the hands move properly to the ball the swing won't be level, and the bat will spend much more time on the ball plane. Video posted above by slugger has some excellent examples of this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles