Trick Pitching...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Once the pitcher receives the ball in the circle, she has 20 seconds to release the pitch for delivery, 10 seconds once she brings the hands together.

From the video, she has an exaggerated pre-motion but a normal wind up.

Trick pitching is doing things that you are not allowed to do in games. Pitching from 2nd base, throwing between your legs, pitching blindfolded, etc, like the Great Eddie Feigner of the King and his Court.

Any time a pitcher doesd something different, coaches will call it trick pitching as an insult, even when what they do is perfectly legal.

Only a foolish person would say those things dont work at the higher/est levels. Remember Bertha Reagan Tickey, used Figure 8 and the sling shot in games? How about Joan Joyce, she used 3 wind ups to throw off hitters, windmill, sling shot and I believe #3 wasa the Figure 8, if I recall her video correctly.

I have a few statements on my book's site where international pitchers have used my tactical pitching even at the adult level.

Tactical pitching is not trick pitching. But, what is an instructor supposed to say when a parent asks him/her to teach the student something they do not know and do not know how to teach, they dont ever want to come across as being ignorant or uninformed. So, it's trick pitcging, its not safe, it's illegal, etc.

Just because their heads are buried in the sand, that doesnt mean yours has to be.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The pitch is defined by starting with the ball in front, bringing it to the rear and releasing it in front of the hip. Front and rear is defined by the straight up and down line of the body. This young lady is bringing the ball and glove together about chin high, and then bringing it up, over her head and behind her head. Then she brings it forward and down, then back behind and then starts her forward wind up. Starts off forward, brings it behind, then in front, then behind, then forward motioon. forward, to the rear and forward, thats all you are allowed.

You cannot make any motion to pitch without immediately delivering the pitch. She has the hands seperated bring them both behind her, then comes forward before bringing the hands together. That is a motion to pitch. IP

She must appear to take the call, I'm not seeing that but argueable.

Thing1Thing2

Softball
Jan 25, 2013
Georgia
Once the pitcher receives the ball in the circle, she has 20 seconds to release the pitch for delivery, 10 seconds once she brings the hands together.

From the video, she has an exaggerated pre-motion but a normal wind up.

Trick pitching is doing things that you are not allowed to do in games. Pitching from 2nd base, throwing between your legs, pitching blindfolded, etc, like the Great Eddie Feigner of the King and his Court.

Any time a pitcher doesd something different, coaches will call it trick pitching as an insult, even when what they do is perfectly legal.

Only a foolish person would say those things dont work at the higher/est levels. Remember Bertha Reagan Tickey, used Figure 8 and the sling shot in games? How about Joan Joyce, she used 3 wind ups to throw off hitters, windmill, sling shot and I believe #3 wasa the Figure 8, if I recall her video correctly.

I have a few statements on my book's site where international pitchers have used my tactical pitching even at the adult level.

Tactical pitching is not trick pitching. But, what is an instructor supposed to say when a parent asks him/her to teach the student something they do not know and do not know how to teach, they dont ever want to come across as being ignorant or uninformed. So, it's trick pitcging, its not safe, it's illegal, etc.

Just because their heads are buried in the sand, that doesnt mean yours has to be.

I just used Trick Pitching wording, because I didn't know what else to call it. And I think (I'm not a professional) that all of the pitchers I'm talking about are legal in their pre-motion. I guess I was just wondering, if I should look into these "styles" of pitching to include in my DD's arsenal? Or is she too young? Or do you just and go for the strikeout no matter what cost? And I'm only saying that, because I'm not sure if she's mature enough to keep changing windups just to fool a batter. When most of you know how hard it is to pitch just one pitch w/ 90% accuracy at the 10u level.

I'm am just amazed at how easy something that is so simple really does throw these girls off. And I think a few of the answers above helped in that, most of this seems to die down around 14u and I really didn't see to many of what I call "Trick Pitchers" this past weekend on ESPN. Most were just well crafted in their field. That Dallas Escabedo (no idea on spelling) was amazing with her rise balls.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I just used Trick Pitching wording, because I didn't know what else to call it. And I think (I'm not a professional) that all of the pitchers I'm talking about are legal in their pre-motion. I guess I was just wondering, if I should look into these "styles" of pitching to include in my DD's arsenal? Or is she too young? Or do you just and go for the strikeout no matter what cost? And I'm only saying that, because I'm not sure if she's mature enough to keep changing windups just to fool a batter. When most of you know how hard it is to pitch just one pitch w/ 90% accuracy at the 10u level.

I'm am just amazed at how easy something that is so simple really does throw these girls off. And I think a few of the answers above helped in that, most of this seems to die down around 14u and I really didn't see to many of what I call "Trick Pitchers" this past weekend on ESPN. Most were just well crafted in their field. That Dallas Escabedo (no idea on spelling) was amazing with her rise balls.

Alot of people will refer to anything that everyone else doesnt do as 'Trick pitching". They also have unkind names for pitchers that do anything that isnt standard issue, so to speak. However, you can translate all that to say "You're good and I dont like that">

There are lots of things you can do in your motions that will disrupt a hitters timing. You are correct when you say it is very effective and takes very little to do that.

Some of those same tactics, used at the older levels can be well practiced and so subtly done, it takes a trained eye very familiar with the tactics to spot them at all.

I was recently showed a video of a national team mens pitcher. It was thought he had used a different wind up against a particular batter. When I watched the video. he DID make his full wind up, unlike what the announcer had said. I had to watch that pitch 4 times before I spotted one of my own tactics being used. He is considered the best and fastest Men's pitcher in the world.

I watched a 16u game years ago where a pitcher was throwing and shutting down what I believe was one of the strongest hitting teams in our are. The batters just stood there as strikes went by. Parents in the stands said things like "Their bats havent woke up yet." "They must of left their bats at home", things like that. Near the end of the third inning I finally spotted the pitcher using a pitching tactic I teach. That strong hitting team was held to two hits that did not make it out of the infield.

Using more than one wind up is easily spotted by the batters and folks in the stands. That is not subtle, it is, however, stunning to the batters.

You have probably watched many pitchers win games that used tactics nobody spotted.

There are many instructors out there that teach tactical pitching. I have had the honor of working with a few of them over the years. A few pitcher's Dads have even started their own pitching schools after teaching their own daughters these tye of tactics.

They can and are used at the youngest and highest levels of competition. If a pitcher is successful with tactics, you will hardly EVER hear them speak of them. They do not want anyone to know their secrets, not even the other pitchers on their own team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors