Travel teams hiding in leagues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 8, 2010
Here in west central Indiana, we have a local league that takes all comers. The teams have tryouts at the beginning of the year, teams are selected and they go. They have no geographic boundaries. Or I could put together my own team from anywhere I wish and enter them into this league as a league team. They have a very short league season and then the league teams travel. Is this typical practice in other areas? It seems to me that they are just shelter for travel teams looking to hide their classification. I live in a smaller adjacent community. Many of the better girls from our area go there to play. Some girls play in our league and on a travel team playing in their league. Just wondering if this is common practice elsewhere.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. My niece plays in a similar set up in southern Texas. When she was talking about playing league, I thought it was rec ball. But, it was better than that.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Up here in Ontario, Canada, we don't really have "travel teams". We have what we call rep teams, which play in leagues against other rep teams and travel to various tournys on the weekends. Below rep we have "select" teams, which is like an allstar team of rec players. The select teams travel, but usually stay within the province. The leauges will only allow the best teams from a town or area to play rep ball. Sometimes there is a pretty big difference in skill level though. So in a sense, we do have travel teams playing in leagues here.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We used a local league young 6u-10u. Why, because at that time we could keep our travel team to play in the league. For $55 a season we had 2 two hour practice times on nice fields, 2-3 games a week ( usually pretty sad comp but still time on the dirt ) then played 'real' travel ball on the weekend. For the money it was a no brainer, and at those young years it really gave the girls real game time experience.

Our last year 10 yo, the other teams in the league had got too weak to be doing us any good. And also i felt it was unfair to the girls who had signed up to play 'rec'. But we all made a lot of friends and we always took time for any girl off another team that wanted some help with her game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad