Torn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2015
DD's team may be imploding. All are 2017's and most will be committed by Fall. Do we stay and try to help hold it together or jump ship? Good teams are not many in our area so we don't want to get into a worse situation but really want to make sure she is getting proper training leading up to heading to College. Anyone ever have to find a new 18U team ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD's team may be imploding. All are 2017's and most will be committed by Fall. Do we stay and try to help hold it together or jump ship
Yeah, why is the team imploding. Just because a player commits they will still need to play softball their senior year. Are you worried because you feel this team wont be attending showcases. My DD was committed this year(2016) and continued to play with her 18u team. Also may guest play next year as a freshman during the summer.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2015
The coach has new priorities so most parents don't feel she is doing the right thing by the team anymore. (Which is sadly true) We are more worried the girls won't be as ready to compete for a spot on their college teams

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The coach has new priorities so most parents don't feel she is doing the right thing by the team anymore. (Which is sadly true) We are more worried the girls won't be as ready to compete for a spot on their college teams

OP doesn't go into specifics about how the coach has stopped doing the right thing for th girls, but to me, this is the players' responsibility, not the coach's. Not saying that the players know all they need to know when they've reached 18U, but if they've advanced enough by that age to have committed to a college team, they should know enough to realize that the primary way to get better is to invest more time/work harder, which is something that they alone control and can do on their own. A team of committed college players really should need a manager more than they need a coach - someone to schedule practices and games, collect fees/pay bills, make out the lineup, divvy up playing time and then get out of the way and let them play. The biggest impact a great coach can make is on the mental side of the game - not that this impact should be belittled or underestimated. But as far as being ready to compete for college playing team, the sooner the players get used to being self-motivated and accountable to themselves and their teammates rather than a coach, the better IMO.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There were a number of 2016 players in our area who played with teams through the end of June, then quit because the parents did not want to spend the money to go to nationals....several teams are scrambling for pickup players. There are also some players who decided to go to summer school to get a head start on college.

Sep 28, 2015
There were a number of 2016 players in our area who played with teams through the end of June, then quit because the parents did not want to spend the money to go to nationals....several teams are scrambling for pickup players. There are also some players who decided to go to summer school to get a head start on college.

The end of June before going to college doesn't seem unreasonable to me. But it's a whole year for these girls without basically the level of training they have been getting. (At the same price and it's not an inexpensive team).

Sep 28, 2015
OP doesn't go into specifics about how the coach has stopped doing the right thing for th girls, but to me, this is the players' responsibility, not the coach's. Not saying that the players know all they need to know when they've reached 18U, but if they've advanced enough by that age to have committed to a college team, they should know enough to realize that the primary way to get better is to invest more time/work harder, which is something that they alone control and can do on their own. A team of committed college players really should need a manager more than they need a coach - someone to schedule practices and games, collect fees/pay bills, make out the lineup, divvy up playing time and then get out of the way and let them play. The biggest impact a great coach can make is on the mental side of the game - not that this impact should be belittled or underestimated. But as far as being ready to compete for college playing team, the sooner the players get used to being self-motivated and accountable to themselves and their teammates rather than a coach, the better IMO.

I Have to say my DD is pretty self motivated She does a lot on her own. I I think if the "proposed" coaches were more knowledgeable I wouldn't be struggling so much with this decision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA