too open too soon?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
my thoughts are that you need to open a tiny pic account and post a gif or post a slo motion version to youtube of the full pitch. there is no way to tell from a still. timing is a sequence...you need to see the before, during and after to really tell what is going on

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
JJ's video suggestion is really the best place to start. My first impression is that she is forcing, or trying to get open. I prefer an emphasis of trying to stay square to the target, but ALLOWING the body to open naturally.

Dec 20, 2012
I don't believe she is too open too soon. She looks similar to my dd and has never been addressed by her PC's or college coach(next year). Here are maybe the 4 best pitchers in 2012, Traina and Moore look to be in exactly the same position as your daughter. But all are open before their arm is at the 12 position.

4%20pitcher%20collage.jpg

Jul 17, 2012
My first impression is she turns her right foot significantly prior to push off

I would LOVE to know how you can determine that from the information available.

Based on the still, the only thing I can determine is that she's not driving toward the target. She's ONLY turning. I don't see anything that tells me she's opening too quickly, she's just lacking the forward drive. The only reason I say that is she SHOULD BE at least 6" to a foot off the rubber if she was driving at the target at that point in the motion.

Basically, as it stands now, your daughter is using step style mechanics. The foreward drive away from the rubber, dragging the toe on the ground would be drive and drag. D & D is the style most on this forum(including me) believe is optimal. Drive and Drag was "coined" on this site....the more common term would be "Leap" and drag, but since a "leap" is illegal..... Drive is the new word of the day!!

May 29, 2013
"If she is starting by kicking the leg forward and across to open the hips she is doing it wrong." Quoted starsnuffer from a thread titled "what drives the hips open".

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thanks everyone. I came across this still in a gallery I was moving to a new tablet and it struck me that she wasn't achieving the drive that she could be, hence my question. I think Frozen hit the nail in the head. We will be working on drive mechanics to achieve more power. Thanks for the positive comments. She has very good control but like every pitcher could use some more speed. I think a change in her drive will get her a few mph. We have worked hard over the years to get the "natural motion" right and "teach out" those nasty HE teachings early on. She is a poster child for learning from those on this forum (oh and a trip to see Hillhouse hasn't hurt either);)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06