Too close for comfort

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Last nights game is the first time DD has had a Catchers interference call on her. DD was up tight on a batter on an 0-2 count because coach called for a change up on an aggressive batter. The batter was in the 2 position and coaches were calling her to back up to the 3 position. After DD gave the pitch call and our pitcher started her wind up, batter took a large step back and then swung. She hitt DD across the mitt. DD bruised her pinky pretty bad but after a few comforting words from the AC (Me, lol) she stepped back in there and finished the last 2 innings of the game and hit a monster triple after the injury as well. All looks good, just swollen. She has another game today and 2 games tomorrow. Seriously though, the way she was crying after the incident had me worried for a minute.

Jul 10, 2013
If your dd is going to keep catching then my advise to you is stop going lol , Catchers will always be getting hurt, be thankful it was only a bruise. My dd broke her thumb in the first inning of a game after her and the pitcher got there signs crossed. Never said a word till after the game was over. All I can say get use to that pretty color of purple and black and carry a big bottle of IB profen.
Also congrats now your dd is officially in the catchers club.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I am constantly having to tell DD to back up when she catches. Never mind the glove, last year she actually got hit in the triceps with a swing.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
DD has been catching for some time now, believe me she has had her share of bumps and bruises. The worst bruise was a foul tipped ball that nailed her on her bicep. But she has had everything from sprained ankle because of runner sliding into her ankle to countless fouled tipped balls and collisions at the plate. She is one tough kid but super sensitive. She can take pain, but the idea that anyone would want to hurt her breaks her heart and she still cries like a baby. Not saying that the batter intentionally hit her. Im referring to a time when she got in a tussle with another player and was pushed to the ground. As big and strong as DD is, I know she didn't get hurt physically but mentally she was wrecked, lol

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm glad to hear that your DD wasn't injured worse, B54. Those can be scary moments.

Playing catcher is definitely helping my DD find her inner toughness and a new level of pain tolerance.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
DD was hit twice in one game, was definitely a strategy by the other coach to have his batters take a steep towards DD to draw the interference call.

She gunned both runners down on steal attempts, sweet justice!

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Get used to bumps and bruises lol.....tipped balls, girls sliding home, etc always find a way to miss the shin pads. We had an instance..first year 12U so girl should have known better, but obviously did not...... . Runner who had previously been on second was running, and as ball gets away from one of our fielders, she rounds third to come home. My DD playing catcher steps up in front of the plate to receive the ball for the impending play at home. Just as she gets by the plate and gets into her "ready stance" WHAM.... the girl at bat standing there taking practice swings, in the middle of a play, hits my DD right in the back with the bat. She dropped to her knees and had the wind knocked out of her and could not breath. Everyone in the stands made that sound....you know the sound when you watch something that hurts...lol. She did cry for a few minutes and had one hell of a bruise, but insisted on finishing the game.

In case anyone wondering....runner called safe at home. Run counted. Not sure if that was the correct call or not...but that is what they called.

Jul 6, 2013
Absolutely not the correct call at home, and I would make it my life's work to make sure that umpire never saw a field again. Lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole