To pitch or not to pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
More and more teams are going to a pitching staff vs. riding an ACE. Even great pitchers have bad days, so coaches better have a plan B...

I noticed that this year in the WCWS. Most teams had a at least two pitchers. From what I recall Oklahoma really rode one pitcher pretty hard.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think Arizona a couple years ago changed game a little bit.

Why would my DD go to college to pitch if they have top recruit in country and getting 100% of Innings?

They do seem to be spreading it out more, multiple pitchers.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I noticed that this year in the WCWS. Most teams had a at least two pitchers. From what I recall Oklahoma really rode one pitcher pretty hard.

Auburn started 3 different pitchers in the WCWS finals against Oklahoma. Oklahoma is probably going to a staff next season since the #1 pitcher from Missouri just transferred there.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Auburn started 3 different pitchers in the WCWS finals against Oklahoma. Oklahoma is probably going to a staff next season since the #1 pitcher from Missouri just transferred there.

Florida also had a big three, and the #1 recruit/freshman in the country never saw the circle in Georgia's 2-0 sweep in the super regional.

I think one reason this is happening is that there are more quality pitchers now due to the popularity of the sport and better coaching/training. The difference between your #1 and #2 isn't as great as it used to be on average.

This also leads to the strategic issue of how much to invest in your pitching ''staff'' from a scholarship standpoint. From what I understand, Florida made pitching a major priority and had 3 aces, which probably didn't come cheap, as you've only got so much scholarship money. Florida was not a good hitting team by SEC standards this past year. I'm thinking maybe that was not a coincidence.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think one reason this is happening is that there are more quality pitchers now due to the popularity of the sport and better coaching/training. The difference between your #1 and #2 isn't as great as it used to be on average.

Pitchers like Kelani Ricketts and Jackie Traina do not grow on trees. In the past very few batters would see 68+ MPH pitching before the WCWS. Now there are more and more pitchers throwing upper 60's every year.

Jun 12, 2015
My pitcher is a total slob. I did manage to get her to clean her room recently...new kitten needed a clean place to stay in quarantine from the other cat...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi