To jump teams or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
Not knowing the "rest of the story" it is tough to give advice. My gut says to live out the commitment you made and then look at changing teams after that. I also think it would be worth talking to the current coach and seeing exactly what his plans are for the team and specifically your daughter. Only thing that would change my opinion is if things have changed 180 degrees from what you were told originally when you joined the team. Good luck and make sure to update the thread on what you decide.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
What about egomaniacal umps ?
org leaders who use kickback deals from preferred vendors so equipment fees are double what they should be?
Parents that bad mouth 10 year old girls?
Inattentive snack shack workers?
Coaches that make promises they can't keep?
The entire Firecrackers organization?

player poaching is not much of a concern to me. But then I am not a coach.

What about egomaniacal umps ?
org leaders who use kickback deals from preferred vendors so equipment fees are double what they should be?
Parents that bad mouth 10 year old girls?
Inattentive snack shack workers?
Coaches that make promises they can't keep?
The entire Firecrackers organization?

player poaching is not much of a concern to me. But then I am not a coach.
Umps are weird people. I resigned myself to that fact long ago.

Kickbacks are a part of life. I don't do it but others do. Finding out who does isn't hard.

Parents that badmouth 10YO girls are right about even with poachers.

Coaches that make promises they can't keep don't last long. I don't pay them much attention.

I don't have a problem with the Firecrackers. Some of their teams are excellent and are very good competition. There is enough information out there that anyone who signs on with them knows what they've signed on for.

Slow snack shack people really get my goat. I often don't have much time between games and I want my food NOW!

Someone who invites a committed player to one of their practices but then says they aren't trying to steal them "but the door is open" has zero integrity. As a coach, if you want to stay in this game for any length of time, your integrity has to be your stock in trade. I would never, ever recommend a coach who poaches like this regardless of the team or organization. A coach who will do this can't be trusted and for sure can be counted on to lie about other things.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Since you are in SoCal, you will most likely be playing TCS anyway during the season and they only have roster restrictions within a single tournament.

Might want to re-check the TCS stuff. I heard they're going the "one team per season" route so even if you leave that team during the season, you can't play in TCS events for another team without requesting and being granted a formal release.

Sep 29, 2014
If you know in September it is not going to work out it seems like a wasted year to stick it out, the other coach has plenty of time to find a replacement after just a month.

If you think it is really what is best I would probably pull the trigger although you don't seem to have articulated much besides a feeling about what is not working with the current team. Don't get me wrong sometimes feelings are very good indicators that something is not right but feeling change easily and quickly.

FINALLY BE FOREWARNED: Caveat emptor the grass is not always greener!!

Jun 24, 2011
The sad reality of travel ball is that it's an individual game within the framework of a team sport. Trust your gut.

Mar 2, 2014
Last year DD was asked to go to another team that was VERY good. I didn't move her because it would have devastated the team we had already committed to (one of two pitchers). If I had to do it all over again I would have moved her. This year we moved her to another team with higher expectations and we are very happy. Not moving her last year may have been morally right but terrible for her growth as a player.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
The best thing you can do is do what's best for your DD. That's all I would worry about in your situation. The thing is you must make sure it is what is best for your DD and not something you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi