To confront the HC or see if he handles it himself

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
My DD will not be exposed to the deliberate use of that kind of language. If a slip here or there no biggie she needs to learn to handle it. I probalbly would pull my team off the field if the opposing coach was using that language and didn't stop after a polite asking to refrain from using it.

Mar 13, 2010
OP I'm Australian and I'll be honest that a lot of the people's stresses about cussing on here has me a tad amused. (I'm not talking about the 'big three') but if I heard a coach dropping the f bomb about 10 and 11 year olds I would be FURIOUS. There is no need for that language at little kids!

If you can't coach kids without resorting to foul language or screaming at them you need to stop coaching little kids

Apr 11, 2012
there is no place for that, especially from an AC...but it doesnt sound like he directed it to a player either...a slip of the tongue, while not pointed at anyone, may be in bad taste in front of minors, but not the biggest deal in the world....it should also be a good lesson to the players of how "not to act"....it was a scrimmage game for goodness sake.

Now, if he "F" bombs a 12U female player directly....he might have a "wood shed" session coming up...

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I would wait and see... I would be more concerned with the coach's misplaced frustrations. If I were playing tennis against Serena Williams I would look like I wasn't really trying, too. There's only so much I can do with a 100 mph serve.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
Practice 1 last night... the coaches were VERY hard on the girls, but they kept their "cool" in check. They did pushups every time they made a bad throw, etc... But with that said - there was also alot of praise when they did well too!

We will see how this Sunday's double header goes & if everyone stays respectful! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be this over protective sheltering Mom IF I did bring up the subject to the HC.

Thanks!!!

Feb 16, 2010
Thanks for the support guys.... just didn't want to be the protective "Mom" if I needed to back off. I thought it was very inappropriate & at first thought there was no way I was hearing what I heard, then it just continued....
My husband wants me to wait & see how the next game goes, he feels that maybe the HC will say something after the game & correct it himself & since we are "new" to this team he doesn't want to ruffle any feathers for our DD.
I sit through every practice (we live 1/2 hr away) & never heard it there. I will see what next Sunday's doubleheader brings :) and sit closer to the dugout to verify the language used! (even though I heard it loud & clear from 15 feet away yesterday)

This is something I have seen in the past. Some coaches are pretty calm and well mannered at practice, even when mistakes are made and practice isn't going well, they remain calm. Then they turn into a completely different person during games. The competetiveness overcomes them and they go crazy, kicking and throwing things, yelling and stomping. It's a true Jekyll and Hyde situation. We've experienced it first hand on a couple of DD's teams. Spent the winter doing indoor practices and workouts with the coaches. After several months you think you have apretty good idea about their personality. Then the first game comes and I'm looking across the dugout at this totally different person, going crazy and making a fool of themself.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
This is something I have seen in the past. Some coaches are pretty calm and well mannered at practice, even when mistakes are made and practice isn't going well, they remain calm. Then they turn into a completely different person during games. The competetiveness overcomes them and they go crazy, kicking and throwing things, yelling and stomping. It's a true Jekyll and Hyde situation. We've experienced it first hand on a couple of DD's teams. Spent the winter doing indoor practices and workouts with the coaches. After several months you think you have apretty good idea about their personality. Then the first game comes and I'm looking across the dugout at this totally different person, going crazy and making a fool of themself.

And did you ever say anything? Was it EVERY game, or just when he was frustrated in their play? How did you handle it or what did you say to your DD?

Feb 16, 2010
And did you ever say anything? Was it EVERY game, or just when he was frustrated in their play? How did you handle it or what did you say to your DD?

Typically the coaches would only go nuts when the team was losing a game. Winning seems to keep everyone happy and things runnning smoothly. It's when the game gets ugly that the true personality shines through. There was never any swearing or F-bombs dropped, but the yelling and stomping around was very prevelant.

The first team I was an AC and talked with the HC about it. I just mentioned that practices always ran smoothly and very even-keeled, and thought it would be great if we could bring that approach into the games as well. He was receptive to it, but things didn't change much during losses. That team ended up folding. The second time I was just another parent on the team. Same situation though. I never approached the coach about it, wouldn't have done any good, and likely caused trouble for DD. We just told her that that was the way it was going to be on this team. That sometimes adults don't act like they should. Again, there were no F-bombs or cussing out girls, just screaming and yelling, throwing his hat, and generally acting like a fool. So we just told DD to make the best of the situation and finish out the season. We ended up moving on to a different team later.

Aug 8, 2011
We are playing for a coach 16u who when confronted about his f-bomb dropping in his fits of rage can't see that there is anything wrong with his behavior.

Jun 11, 2013
Your not being overprotective, you are being a Mom as you should. There is no place for cursing, but I'd be more concerned by the way he treated the kids in general. I would wait the 24 hours and talk or email the coach regarding your concerns. I would give the AC the benefit of the doubt this time, but if he doesn't change I would find another team. I've coached for teams when we got on the players for not playing hard, but never yelled or cursed. My DD plays on a 12U TB team where the coaches will point out mistakes, but never ever berate the players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles