Tips to help prevent closing eyes when receiving the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2011
DD does very well catching for 14u travel team, recently we have been looking at pictures and have found when receiving the ball her eye's are closed.

Any tips on how to improve this?
or is it something that needs to looked at.

eyes.jpg

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Forget about it. They all blink upon receiving. I have a picture of DD hitting a ball, she has her eyes closed, the catcher has her eyes closed and the PU has his eyes closed. Something about the ball arriving in the glove, hitting the bat causes all eyes close to blink. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jul 26, 2010
Blinking is fine, flinching isn't. Have her put her gear on and toss tennis balls at her mask while she holds her hands behind her back. If she blinks, she's normal. If she flinches, you have something to work on.

-W

Apr 3, 2011
Thanks for the quick replies.

I was thinking it was normal, but did not want her to develop a bad habit.

After looking at more images I started to notice a pattern, every time she is about to throw out a runner, her eyes do not close, it seems then that she is more focused on getting the ball.

I have heard that if you take a breath or breath out just before the ball hits the glove that could help.

Thanks again for the responses.

Blinking is fine, flinching isn't. Have her put her gear on and toss tennis balls at her mask while she holds her hands behind her back. If she blinks, she's normal. If she flinches, you have something to work on.

-W

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
The DD has her own "Top Secret" method that she shares with all our catchers.... She forces herself to blink when her pitchers are in their wind up. She is less likely to blink as the pitch comes in.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I would think (and this goes inline with what starsnuffer mentioned) if she is blinking in anticipation of the ball....
as opposed to blinking right as she catches it are two different things. One is a flinch the other merely a body habit.

Feb 20, 2012
pdx
blinking is very hard to stop. we do anti blinks to try to train the mind . On their backs mask on and drop whiffles or tennis balls on the mask and try to keep their eyes open

Jan 24, 2009
I remember a playoff game a couple years back. Before the tv went to commercials between innings, they replayed the last pitch of the third out which was a swinging K. The tv view was looking right down the pipe in slow mo. Jorge Posada had his eyes completely closed when he caught the pitch. As an observer, I have since found that to be more normal than not, even at the MLB level. Good luck! VW

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Not just blinking, but something called "the big blink." I saw it at the National Sports Clinics years ago, a tip from a catcher turned coach. As the pitcher goes into her windup, close your eyes hard, then open them real wide. I've had catchers do that with their masks on, then banged on the mask with a ball (in my hand) and their eyes stay open.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06