Timming issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
The reason that what you do with your back foot is bad, is that you don't get the full potential force that you could, to drive your hips. You're mostly twisting your back leg when the goal should be to use it to push the back hip. The action that your foot has should be AFTER the hip is pushed and it pulls the foot and leg around. You are turning and then pushing.

See if you can see the difference between you and Barry Bonds below. Bonds pushes and turns his hip and the foot follows. Your action is different.

bugsquish.gif
bondsbackfoot.gif

The legs turn the hips, the hips turn the shoulders, the hands are kept back and move when the shoulders move, the arms and hands move the bat. That is the kinetic chain. When you start the hands before the hips turn the shoulders, you break the chain and you lose potential force.

Watch Barry's hands move WITH his back shoulder, not independently, and not before the shoulders move.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 16, 2010
That video is funny. However, it accomplishes two things;

1. Of course you'd be a fool to talk like that to a young student
2. Technically, it is pretty accurate and it describes what YOU should do, versus what YOU demonstrated.

I tell the kids that the spot on the inside of the top of their back leg, where the leg bends, near their crotch, is "the magic spot." The goal is to turn or drive that "magic spot." You do it with the muscles in the butt and you turn without straightening your back leg.
No mention of squishing a bug or turning the back leg. It WILL turn if you push from the butt and block the forward movement with the front leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
"HaHa. Good stuff!! But explain to me why I shouldn't tell them to turn their hips."

There are many different swings, but a turning hip cue will tend to prevent a high level/elite/MLB level swing pattern because the loading for the eliteMLb swing requires hips that resist turning.

Just review this one thread and you will be up to speed with the controversy and buzz words used to argue about it:

Toe Touch and Heel Plant

May 16, 2010
There are many different swings, but a turning hip cue will tend to prevent a high level/elite/MLB level swing pattern because the loading for the eliteMLb swing requires hips that resist turning.

Please expound as to why a turning hip cue will prevent a MLB swing.

Also, please expound on when, where and how long, resistance occurs.

Where is the start and end point of resisting hip turn in Barry's swing below?

bondsbackfoot.gif

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
I should say do not cue/encourage turning hips FORWARD.

for mlb pattern, hips need to be bottom of top, not top of bottom so IR of rear leg is opposed by upper body, including hips resistance, tug of war on either side of rear hip joint as pivot. this is part of producing quick stretch and fire, early batspeed and long contact zone with ability to match swing plane to pitch trajectory.

if you want the hips to resist as bottom of top/upper body, then you do not want to cue/emphasize turning the hips forward.

The link to BBF includes BM's recounting his epiphany from the golf pro on hip resistance, maybe BM wants to take a craak at 'splaining it.

May 16, 2010
I should say do not cue/encourage turning hips FORWARD.

for mlb pattern, hips need to be bottom of top, not top of bottom so IR of rear leg is opposed by upper body, including hips resistance, tug of war on either side of rear hip joint as pivot. this is part of producing quick stretch and fire, early batspeed and long contact zone with ability to match swing plane to pitch trajectory.

if you want the hips to resist as bottom of top/upper body, then you do not want to cue/emphasize turning the hips forward.

The link to BBF includes BM's recounting his epiphany from the golf pro on hip resistance, maybe BM wants to take a craak at 'splaining it.

I don't need BM to explain it to me. I know how it works and have for a long time. I told him how it worked before he had his epiphany, but he didn't believe me at the time. Now, he does.

I just don't describe it as you do. Your description makes no sense to ME. Maybe it does to others.

P.S.

I agree that you don't think of opening your hips early. You coil in and drive the top of the back leg straight through. That opens the hips. But, it isn't technically maintaining IR.

I've described the actual bio-mechanics many times.

Last edited:

stv

May 12, 2010
Ive been coaching young girls for awhile now and everyone seems surprised I dont like to say squish the bug. Instead I tell them to push off the bug so as not to offend daddy or whomever. How crazy would it be to teach a 12u to use a axe and chop down a tree...

Jun 20, 2008
Wow what dose any of this have to do with a kid that is making a decision to swing instead of a decision not to swing?

P.S. Bustos doesn't squish any bug.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission