Throwmax?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Throwmax?--Video Included

I'm frustrated as can be. DD has another tryout and still has the elbow tucked when throwing. We play catch alot and sometimes her throws look fine and other's not so fine. Yesterday I video recorded her throws and sure enough before launch the elbow tucks in and it looks like she is shotputting the ball. She hits second pretty good from home, but watching the video frame by frame it looks painful. So, I'm wondering if the Throwmax is something we should consider? Anyone use one with success? I'll upload the video later, but I think most here know what I'm talking about.

Anything we can do to start to fix this while we wait for the throwmax? Video from yesterday:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y3GuhemBgv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I've used the Throwmax, it worked pretty well to get the message across for the issues I was targeting. One of those issues was the shotputting you mentioned.

I used it in a team setting, so the players had to share it; therefore not as effective as it could have been. But still pretty effective.

Using it with your DD I believe you could get better results because you could make sure she's wearing it long enough to form good habits.

Some are going to say it's a waste but I would give it a try and determine for yourself. What's $35? You spend that at Golden Corral.

Nov 29, 2009
The Throwmax works very well. What your DD has to understand is not fight it. I have seen kids bend them fighting it. They MUST understand it will feel strange at first. I've used it on several girls with good success.

It works great with pitching too. Make the pitcher really isolate the wrist in getting the ball to move.

Jun 21, 2010
Oh, sorry. I made it public now. I have a HS catcher coming to a field today to see how DD is doing and give us feedback.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
My dd somtimes has a problem, when pitching, of instead of going all the all the way around with her arm circle she drops hand down from the top of her circle to the bottom. Like a short cut. I bought the throwmax to help with this because it keeps her arm straight without making her lock her elbow. She wears it about 10 min. during practice when I notice problem.
Sometimes I make her wear it throwing overhand just to reenforce proper mechanics.
I think, as far aids go, this one does what it says and is easy to use. I think it is a good deal at $35.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that she is just weak through the shoulder girdle. How many push ups can she do? Strengthening would help her problem, I believe.

Jul 5, 2011
I see a lot of similarities between your DD's throw and my DD's throw. First, they're both got a high throwing elbow, then drop it to throw. Second, they both rotate their shoulders on a plane pretty much parallel to the ground. From the camera angle, I can't tell whether yours steps directly to her target; mine steps a little left of the target.

My DD throws plenty hard, but I want to make sure she's throwing correctly to avoid injury. My plan is to get her stepping directly at her target and getting her glove shoulder lower than her throwing shoulder when they rotate. The first should be easily enough done; not sure how I'm going to approach the second yet. I thought about getting a throw max, but I really don't think it will fix her issues.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Here's a drill for a short term fix. Get a regular medium or hand sized towel, tie a knot in one corner and hold the knot in your hand like a ball with the tail of the towel facing away from the hand ( i.e., pointing in the direction of the target). Go through the throwing motion as normal (except don't actually let go of the towel) and try to have the tail of the towel extend as far forward as possible at the time the ball would normally be released. Keep holding the towel and follow through as normal. Position a moveable target (like a glove or bat) for the tip of the towel progressively further away to increase the extension. Start slow and increase the speed and extension and then try it with a ball. To do this, she should be bending at the waist and ending up with her upper body in front of her stride foot.

To reduce the strain, her elbow should stay higher AND she needs to load her back hip (identical to the coil or load used for hitting). Take a look at the throwing footwork in your Catching Coach's DVD as a refresher - her back foot is taking a big step forward instead of a little step sideways and she's not getting the desired load. That hip coil is elusive, but it allows them to throw using the big muscles of the core without putting excessive strain on the arm. The bonus is that the coil is basically the same power source used for hitting. It's really an Ah ha! moment once they feel how efficient and strong this move is.

Good luck

Another option I've found usefull, is to put her on the pitcher's rubber (a BB mound actually works even better) and have her try to duplicate a BB pitcher throwing overhand from the full windup. Slo mo at first, progressing to regular speed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA