Throwing Velocities

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I am writing to try to get a gauge on throwing velocities in the softball world. We did some testing yesterday and wanted to get a feel for typical velocities for ages. For example, what are the typical velocities for 14U, 16U and 18U players... and if available what kind of velocities do D1, D2, D3 schools demand? How hard do the national players throw?

Jul 26, 2010
According to this year's NFCA BATS test (http://ftp.nfca.org/bats/batstests.pdf) :

"Throwing Velocity measured by the use of a a radar gun: The athlete makes a maximum of five overhand throws with a regulation softball on flat ground. No shuffle, crow hop, or runing start allowed. The distance the ball is thrown is irrelevant because the radar gun measures the ball velocity within the first few feet of release. Maximum throwing velocity is recorded in mph. Average overhand throwing velocity for high school softball is appx 48 mph; NCAA softball is appx 57 mph."

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The link below is to results from 1 of the several 2011 NFCA camps. Go to the NFCA home page, click recruiting camps, click on a camp, and then click camp results to see more results. You can't tell the specific player ages, but assume they are all HS girls w/ a goal of playing in college. For this group - avg is probably low-mid 50s w/ only 3 or so > 60,

NFCA.ORG

Mar 25, 2011
That table would be really neat if height and weight were listed. Age would be a perk, but kind of irrelevant. I didn't really notice a specific skill that tied to ball velocity on batting.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
We had one of our players (rising HS senior) crow hop 70 this week. I know just standing and firing she is 65-67ish. Was trying to get a feel for what that meant on a national level. Also had a rising freshman (13 turning 14 soon) at 56. Seems like we are on the right track.

Jul 11, 2009
We had one of our players (rising HS senior) crow hop 70 this week. I know just standing and firing she is 65-67ish. Was trying to get a feel for what that meant on a national level. Also had a rising freshman (13 turning 14 soon) at 56. Seems like we are on the right track.

Sounds pretty good. I think I remember hearing one time that if a girl can't throw 60 plus college coaches won't even look at her (although that may have just been D1).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619