Throwing from knees vs popping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good point, but......there's no reason that you have to intentionally put yourself into a less than ideal position before executing!

Agreed 100%, and well-trained fundamentals are critical for being able to execute with efficiency under normal and near-normal circumstances. The better your training, the bigger "near-normal" becomes.

Apr 14, 2014
Kansas City
This a great post and some really good information and opinions. I follow Jen Schroeder closely, she has some really good drills and techniques for catching. I had a chance to talk to one of my cousins who lives in SoCal and attended one of her catching camps. It wasn't the Packaged Deal camp but strictly focused on catching. She learned a lot.

The throwing from the knees debate is interesting. I view it as another technique to add to your catching arsenal. Ideally, I would prefer a pop up throw, but in the event the catcher is in a position that she can't pop up, I believe that having the capability to throw from the knees is an added bonus. If, as they get older, that works for them, and they are comfortable with it, I say go with it.

It is going to take a certain comfort level for a catcher to fully embrace throwing from the knees.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This a great post and some really good information and opinions. I follow Jen Schroeder closely, she has some really good drills and techniques for catching. I had a chance to talk to one of my cousins who lives in SoCal and attended one of her catching camps. It wasn't the Packaged Deal camp but strictly focused on catching. She learned a lot.

The throwing from the knees debate is interesting. I view it as another technique to add to your catching arsenal. Ideally, I would prefer a pop up throw, but in the event the catcher is in a position that she can't pop up, I believe that having the capability to throw from the knees is an added bonus. If, as they get older, that works for them, and they are comfortable with it, I say go with it.

It is going to take a certain comfort level for a catcher to fully embrace throwing from the knees.

I don't see what there is to debate. It is not a question of which is better but rather the catchers initial position. I cannot see how getting up from your knees to throw is going to somehow get the ball to the base sooner than chucking it from where you are at.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission