Throwing Balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
Some coaches loathe giving up hits on 0-2 counts. Your philosophy may differ.

I loathe giving up hits period, but not as much as wasting pitches. Knowing who's at bat matters too though, if it IS a hitter you know is good, then maybe you try to goad them into chasing, but if it's just some average person that already failed to hit your pitches, don't get cute. Get your out and move on to the next batter.

Apr 14, 2022
Were they called strikes or swinging strikes? I don't know why you would ever intentionally miss on 0-2 or 1-2 if the batter had two swinging strikes.

I assume since the player got in trouble for a strikeout 0-2, this coach in this wants a ball.
I personally think you have to mix it up.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
HS pitching coach called a time out (after my DD struck a girl out) and told my DD she was throwing too many strikes.

Their armbands don't have any indication of where to throw the pitch. Basically just FB, C, CU, R, etc. Her travel team uses code to allow for purposeful misses inside or outside. Basically on her travel team location is part of the pitch calling, and it can be corners or off the plate.

Thoughts?
You have a ignorant HS coach. Can you throw too many strikes? Absolutely. Can you call pitches without locations, Absolutely not!

Oct 4, 2018
I am having trouble seeing how that works. They do not slide to location, just react? Not getting many edge calls?

The coach simply calls the pitch. Curveball.

There's no location on the armband/card. Does she want it over the plate, off the plate, backdoor, backdoor off the plate?

No one knows...

Oct 4, 2018
Guess we don't think framing/presenting is a thing then eh?

I really have no business in pitching threads other than my DD is a catcher and it's nice to know what others are working on and when and what age level so we can be prepared. Catcher not involved seems the default position and they're just supposed to magically show up and know and do everything.

Sorry for my rant. lol

I defend catchers quite often, especially on this team. If a girl throws fast and the catcher has no clue where the ball might go, it's not fair to get on them for some passed balls.

Oct 4, 2018
?????????????How can the catcher not be involved? She is catching the ball, right?

She basically knows the pitch (curve, rise, etc.) but isn't told a location. Just as the pitcher isn't. So if the pitcher thinks "This curve will be backdoor", the catcher may get crossed up badly.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01