Thoughts on a 15 year old trying to play for a travel team with no experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If you are unable to drop to your knees and block wild pitches, then you don't need to be playing catcher. There's no nice way to say that. Everyone thinks about throwdowns when evaluating catchers; but I guarantee you, passed balls have cost more runs than a stolen base.

100% true. We found out this past HS season (what little bit we played), that a catcher with good receiving and blocking skills, but can't throw, is WAY more effective than a catcher with a strong arm, but gives up multiple passed balls per inning. The difference was vivid.

Feb 15, 2017
100% true. We found out this past HS season (what little bit we played), that a catcher with good receiving and blocking skills, but can't throw, is WAY more effective than a catcher with a strong arm, but gives up multiple passed balls per inning. The difference was vivid.

Agreed - would much rather have a blocker/receiver than a thrower if I had to pick.

Feb 15, 2017
For physical skills, I would rank throwing 3rd most important for a catcher...
1. Receiving
2. Ball control (blocking/picking)
3. Throwing

Absolutely agree with this. I might even put swinging the bat above throwing :). You get one that can do all 3 above and you leave a suitcase of cash in a locker at the train station and tell NO ONE about her.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Absolutely agree with this. I might even put swinging the bat above throwing :). You get one that can do all 3 above and you leave a suitcase of cash in a locker at the train station and tell NO ONE about her.

I left out hitting on purpose, because it's not a catcher-specific skill. ;) Also, this is one position I will take a an excellent defensive player with a mediocre bat over a stronger hitter with lesser defensive skills.

Feb 20, 2020
Hit. Hit. Hit. Hit. Hit.

Watch every hitting video you can find. Find every drill you can find and do them every day. Get tee and and net and hit off it as much as you can.

When they're open, got to batting cages. See if you can find a hitting instructor who can do virtual lessons, and then as soon as you can get to real time with one. But even if you can't find that, hit. Take a couple hundred swings a day. Just hit.

After you hit and hit some more, work on your throwing. Find drills, give yourself good form and good velocity. Get yourself to a point where you can throw 90 feet on a line and put it into a 12x12 square. Every time. And then hit some more.

If you can hit, someone will put you on their team. If you can hit and throw, someone will start you. I'd give up the idea of catching because you're too far behind the curve and your knees already hurt. But that's okay because the outfield gets a decent amount of play at 16U, and girls who can make that throw are a valuable commodity.

But mostly hit. Coaches always find a spot for hitting. Good luck!

Apr 16, 2013
Hit. Hit. Hit. Hit. Hit.

THIS! This is my DD's strategy and always has been. She's a good catcher, but probably not D1 level. Maybe, maybe not. However, any team (travel team) that she wants to go to, instantly has room for her. Why? Because she destroys the ball. Not hits well. Not hits good. She absolutely crushes it. It doesn't matter what position she plays, teams want her because of her pure offensive power. If you want to play travel ball at 16u with no previous experience, then the sure fire way is to hit the ball hard! That will raise eyebrows and get you a spot on a team. That's really all there is to it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06