Thnking about just concentrating on pitching and hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
JJ, if your DD would be okay with just pitching and DP/DH, then I think the point is moot unless it affects her chances of playing TB/MS/HS/College ball. I know many TB coaches that would kill to have a quality Pitcher and not have to put her in another position in a game when not pitching. We don't have MS ball around here but a majority of the HS's are large. The Pitchers pitch and that's it. Some hit if they are good bats and some don't if they aren't. The same can be said (for the most part) about college ball. I would talk to her and ask her what she wants to do and lay out the options and consequences. Let her make an informed decision. By the same token, I would not completely give up on the fielding but maybe not work it as strenuously as you have been in the past. You never know when she might have to go in and field for an injured player if she decides to go that route.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Thanks all. The issues with the fielding are pretty much all mental at this point and that is why I don't see much bang for the buck in practicing. She can field grounders and track and catch fly balls and has a good arm. She is not quick enough for middle infield but she has the tools for the corners and the outfield. But all of that is useless if you are going to catch a ball at first and freeze waiting for the umps call while a runner rounds third and scores, or if you catch a fly in Right field and hold on to the ball waiting for the runner to make a move before you throw. She knows better, she is equipped with the tools to make the right decisions, but short of standing with her in the field and asking her where she plans on throwing the ball if it is hit to her I really can't do much more so it is up to her. My deal is that I just don't want to be centering the feedback on the same stuff over and over and working on it when all evidence is that it will not help and the only thing that will help is if/when her internal killer instinct goes off and she realizes that part of this game is standing in the outfield before the pitch and seeing that runner on third and thinking "please hit me a fly ball so I can gun you down at home" instead of "I wonder if the snack bar has sour skittles?". She's a great kid and she is just that, a kid, I was a competitive nut at her age and she isn't, she is a good player she just doesn't give a crap about being a play maker. She thinks in terms of "doing her job" instead of doing everything she can to win. I guess my point is just recognizing that at some point it is up to them. I'll still hit her grounders and flys etc. but not with the intent of her improving, just because it is fun to mix it up. But I am going to stop the feedback on staying focused in a game and let her learn that on her own.

Apr 10, 2014
San Diego
Unfortunately fielding is a huge part of the game. If she aspires to play in college her opportunities will be severely limited unless she's a lights out pitcher or can crush the ball 250 feet with regularity. Focus on defense is a choice for her. She clearly has the potential to be as great a fielder as she apparently is a pitcher and hitter. The question to ask is why she doesn't focus when on defense? Perhaps she does not possess the confidence there and actually over-thinks things to the point of being unable to make a decision (paralysis by analysis)? A lack of confidence can cause hesitation due to doubt. Just one idea!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Unfortunately fielding is a huge part of the game. If she aspires to play in college her opportunities will be severely limited unless she's a lights out pitcher or can crush the ball 250 feet with regularity. Focus on defense is a choice for her. She clearly has the potential to be as great a fielder as she apparently is a pitcher and hitter. The question to ask is why she doesn't focus when on defense? Perhaps she does not possess the confidence there and actually over-thinks things to the point of being unable to make a decision (paralysis by analysis)? A lack of confidence can cause hesitation due to doubt. Just one idea!

I can assure you it is not lack of confidence, she is a really well centered kid with good self esteem. it really is just that she is a space case when she is not engaged. She gets it from her mom :) This is not a softball specific thing either, it is her personality and I love it. She drifts off into her own little world when she is not engaged in something. She is really bright and does a lot of thinking, I sometimes wish I had the soundtrack to her internal monologue. She frequently won't say a word for about 15 minutes after talking about something and then she will pop of with something that tells me she was thinking about what we talked about the whole time she was silent. Great trait when it comes to her schoolwork, good trait for a human being, but a horrible trait on the field when you might go an inning or two before seeing any real action. I don't think she over analyses either. After the last game where she froze on first and let the run score I asked her what the best part of the game was and she said striking out the last two batters with the bases loaded to secure a tie. I asked her about the worst thing and for the life of her she did not remember the play at first. When I asked her about it she said...and I swear this is true...."I thought that was a different game?"..."no honey, that was the first inning of tonight's game". When she said this I recognized in full clarity that I am fighting a seriously uphill battle getting her to focus and care about fielding. On the upside she can tell me the favorite colors and birthdates of all the members of One Direction...so there's that.

Jun 24, 2013
DD zones out when the games get really slow, think a lot of walks. The older they get the games get better and it is easier for her to pay attention.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207