This One Is New To Me - No Bus !

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
In our district the non-certified employees union mandates that a bus be used to transport students for everything. My DD was taking some HS classes when she was in middle school. The campuses are across town (about a 3 minute drive) and we made arrangements for her grandmother to take her daily. Nope. She rode, by herself, on a full sized school bus every single day of the year. Absolutely awful waste of money and we felt bad about it.

Same thing with field maintenance now that I'm coaching in the district. Have a buddy who does lawn care and was willing to keep our field mowed until the season ended. AD said it's not allowed because of the union contract. So, we'll get our field mowed about 3 times over the course of the entire season by school staff.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Bus mandatory in my district. To take a player to a game or home from a game has to be approved by the AD and a couple of days in advance.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Catholic school that is grades 7-12. No bus for the Middle School team (grades 7-8); parents transport to games. Two small busses for Varsity to away games. They will allow us to transport our own kid home from a game to avoid having to drive to school to pick them up (since it's a private school, kids live all over).

May 29, 2015
In our district the non-certified employees union mandates that a bus be used to transport students for everything. My DD was taking some HS classes when she was in middle school. The campuses are across town (about a 3 minute drive) and we made arrangements for her grandmother to take her daily. Nope. She rode, by herself, on a full sized school bus every single day of the year. Absolutely awful waste of money and we felt bad about it.

AD "No, no, no. It's not a waste of money, we get reimbursed!"

TMIB [stares at AD, astonished] "Where do you think that reimbursement comes from? It's still a waste of taxpayer money."

Some people just make my head hurt.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Never heard of a high school not providing transportation for away games.

As stated earlier. I would be very curious about if the boy's teams are provided transportation to their away games.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Catholic school that is grades 7-12. No bus for the Middle School team (grades 7-8); parents transport to games. Two small busses for Varsity to away games. They will allow us to transport our own kid home from a game to avoid having to drive to school to pick them up (since it's a private school, kids live all over).

This is how our school district works. Varsity/JV always use buses for players and coaches. Parents are on their own. Middle school athletics varies. But in many cases the parents are responsible. In most cases DD decided to ride the bus back to the school, but there were times that she rode home with us. But each time we needed to notify the coach in advance and sign a waiver. When DD started driving, she always rode the bus and then drove herself home from school.

May 6, 2015

Same thing with field maintenance now that I'm coaching in the district. Have a buddy who does lawn care and was willing to keep our field mowed until the season ended. AD said it's not allowed because of the union contract. So, we'll get our field mowed about 3 times over the course of the entire season by school staff.

would he get fined or arrested if he just went ahead and mowed the field ;) ? I think midnight "vandalism" is in order here.

Apr 26, 2015
DD's HS has busses for any game 10 miles or further away. For games under 10 miles the girls are expected to find rides (other players or parents). For the away games with busses we have to give at least 3 days notice if we will be taking DD home from a game. She refuses to not ride the bus - it's one of her favorite parts of games days.

The policy is the same for all sports (except Unified who get busses for all games).

I know one of the large districts south of us does not provide busses for any away event. Boys or girls.

Jul 12, 2019
Our school district only busses "major sports" courtesy of boosters paying for the busses. Occassionally a team will get/rent a bus for districts or an away game that is 20+ miles from the school.

Feb 12, 2014
would he get fined or arrested if he just went ahead and mowed the field ;) ? I think midnight "vandalism" is in order here.

Probably was a better forgiveness vs permission thing in hindsight.

The school could have a grievance filed against them by the union because of it and I don't want to be the cause of that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619