The worst team I've ever had - what to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
It's a U16 LL team (ages 13-17), 16 players on the roster.
they've all been playing softball for years, but most dont get it.

with 16 players, i easily spend at least an hour in preparation for each game figuring out who goes in where and when to make sure everyone gets at least 3 defensive innings without creating obvious holes in the defense.

The team doesn't believe in itself and I don't either. I think I've gone too far in the direction of being relaxed and "we'll get 'em next time", but my level of frustration had been through the roof with players playing without a clue.
I used to get really irritated when I would make a point of telling them all to slide on close plays, especially at the plate after being warned by an umpire, and then having experienced HS players make outs by running home, colliding with the catcher and not sliding.

Players not taking signs or not knowing the signs (there are only 5 and no indicator sign)
Players running to 2B and turning their back on 3B while they watch the RF get the ball and throw it in.
Not running after balls in the OF, especially the ones that hit fair and roll into foul territory.
Players covering a base on a force play not leaving the base to catch the ball but instead allowing it to roll out of play
Throwing over cutoffs head to no one or throwing to the wrong cutoff.
Pitcher turning her back to an agressive BR on 3B after receiving throw back from catcher
Catchers trying to pickoff a BR too close to their base, resulting in an overthrow to the OF where no one is prepared to back up the play. (several times a catcher has overthrown the fielder with me yelling "NOOOOO!!!"from the time she began to draw her arm back
pop flies landing in the dirt 5'-0" behind the nearest infielder

etc.

again these are mostly High School girls who have been playing for years.
We are 0-10. we have successfully snatched defeat from the jaws of victory several times. Lately we don't even get close.

Any advice on what I should do with my attitude or demeanor to help bring this team into focus? I'm thinking of playing certain kids all the time and rotating everyone else in and out, but we don't have more than a couple good players- who are no longer playing well.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 2 cents...

At practice, pick one or two things to focus on, and drill them hard until EVERYONE is doing it right. Next practice, do a quick refresher of the previous lessons, and then pick one or two more things to focus on. Minimal talking, lots of doing. Lots of focus on proper execution rather than speed. If you can't do it slowly, you'll never do it fast.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Sounds like rec ball. I like the pick one or two things each practice, but also include team scrimmage, 16 players is a lot, seven batting with nine in the field. Stop the scrimmage for correction. Could also play nine and use the rest as runners, and run through game situations.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sounds like they are not engaged. Try giving them ownership and accountability - make groups of 3 or 4 girls the coaches responsible for coaching each practice/game with you as an AC at their disposal (and make suggestions and give direction if needed).

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I forgot to mention- since the beginning of may we haven't been able to hold any practices - too many other things going on and the end of the school year. When we were holding practices, we could never ghet more than half the team at any one time due to HS games, Soccer, music lessons, etc. now we have games every other day for the next few weeks. I have begun treating games as scrimmages whenever a learning moment arises.

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
You need to go back to fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. Practice an hour or two prior to game times. Nothing hard, just basic stuff, then do an hour of chalk talk. Dude, I've been there in your shoes. Not as bad as it was last season for me, but Ive been there. Some seasons you just have to shrug it off your shoulders and move on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi