The Weekend Part 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I made some observations from last weekend but thought I'd add one additional thread about this past weekend. On Sunday, I was watching a game of which the winner would advance to the championship game. It was humid and hot for this time of the year. While sitting off to the side, watching the game, it became apparent to me that the catcher was having some major trouble. I mentioned it to the Dads sitting by me. We watched her some more and all agreed something was not right. In passing, I mentioned something to the umpire. The next inning with a runner stealing 2nd, this catcher threw the ball right over where the SS should be playing. I went up to say something then since it seemed that no one was noticing what was going on. Thank goodness, the Umpire had stopped the game and was calling her coaches out. Coaches, PLEASE watch your catchers!

I saw an old play we ran when I was in HS. Runners on 1st and 3rd. So, everyone expects the typical 1st and 3rd offense. Everyone expects the typical defense. So, batter squares to bunt and 3B charges. Runner starts for second AND FALLS DOWN. Hitter pulls bunt back. 3B starts yelling at catcher to throw the ball. Runner between 1st and 2nd gets up and starts again for 2nd but not too hard. Catcher throws ball to SS covering bag. Runner from 3rd scores. HOWEVER, the 3B has been so wrapped up on this play watching and yelling that the runner from 1st takes 3rd. I had to laugh/admire how well they pulled this off.

I hate it when food/water/... are checked at the gate only to find that the cost of the food/water in the concession stand has been GREATLY INCREASED! I had to pay $4.25 for a bratwurst. At our local park, that cost $2.75.

Daughter's team played in a tournament that had a home run derby. 12U was allowed to participate as an age group. Top 3 of the 12 girls that entered were from DD's team! DD's catcher hit 6 of 12 balls out.

Mar 21, 2013
Played in a tourney recently at a park where they did not allow you to bring in food or drinks then proceeded to close the snack bar in the 2nd inning of the semi final game. Almost 4 hours with no concessions was not good. Thank goodness it wasn't hot....

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
I've never been to a tournament where the kids couldn't bring at least a water jug in? Most allow a team cooler for water out here.

Even BLD allows the kids to bring a jug.

Aug 12, 2014
Illinois
We ran our BB steal play twice today with success. Runner on 3rd batter draws walk. Jogs to 1st the turns and heads to 2nd. Pitcher instinctively throws to 2nd at which time 3b runner breaks for home and scores. Coach comes out to settle team down. Later in inning wth 2 outs same situation. Batter is a seasoned 13 yr old who is our best at this play. She jogs 1/2 speed to 2nd when, as if on cue, a parent screams she's going. Pitcher again throws to 2nd and runner on 3rd scores. Base runner then gets into a long hotbox rundown before sliding safely into 2nd.

I like local small town tourneys like this one. No gate fee and you can bring in whatever you want!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi