The Saga of Rebuilding a School Program: A parent-coach's journal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...Also of note...the cheerleader has been hitting homeruns off short toss all week. We're all giving our opinion on how many game HR's she'll hit this season. I've called 10.
Front handspring, slide down to splits, touching home plate to finish off the home run trot. That's one way to get noticed!

Jun 8, 2016
I may get a copy of the inserts and sit directly behind the backstop and do some covert research.
Yeah..don’t do this…

Sounds like it might be a good idea for you and your DW to go sit as far away as possible..

Jan 25, 2022
Yeah..don’t do this…

Sounds like it might be a good idea for you and your DW to go sit as far away as possible..
I had decided not to do it, but would it have been a faux pas to watch the pitches vs what they call? When I said covert I just meant I wouldn't let anyone see me doing it, so as not to give anything away to anyone who may want to know such things. And I wasn't gonna go in the dugout at night and steal it or anything..lol

Jun 8, 2016
I had decided not to do it, but would it have been a faux pas to watch the pitches vs what they call? When I said covert I just meant I wouldn't let anyone see me doing it, so as not to give anything away to anyone who may want to know such things. And I wasn't gonna go in the dugout at night and steal it or anything..lol
Just let your kid play in peace 😂

Jun 8, 2016
Maybe I should just join you in the parking lot for chicken and rice.

Who am I kidding though...I'd probably have binoculars.

Parking lot fare is usually some sort of canned fish and rice. Doubles as a deterrent from anybody coming near me..

Jan 25, 2022
It was expected to be in the high 20's at game time yesterday so it was postponed to Friday. The second game of the season--which has now become the first game of the season--is this evening. Temps at game time may be as high as 50 but look like they'll fall fast once the sun sets. I'm excited to go watch, but it does stress me out some. I got in a good workout this morning to get rid of some of the tension. I wish I didn't think about it so much, but it's just in my nature to put those thoughts on infinite repeat.

I got DD2 out to throw Sunday afternoon. We did a perpendicular power line drill (for hips/torso positioning and power), standing windmills, step-backs (which just weren't working so we moved-on) and walk-in long toss from about 50ft. She settled into it all by the time we finished. It was in the high 30's out, so only about 30 minutes of work overall before their actual practice started. She hasn't thrown a pitch since Sunday, though. Her 15th birthday is Friday, so it'll be spent on the field. Two games on Saturday, about 30 minutes away. The grind begins.

Jan 25, 2022
First game was yesterday. We lost 10-0 in 5 innings. As bad as that sounds, it actually wasn't too terrible. First inning was 3 up, 3 down for them. Unfortunately we couldn't hit. Lots of strikeouts, a few weak contact hits and too many third strikes looking. Watching a third strike go by drives me crazy. I don't actually vocalize my frustrations, but ya know. Their pitcher had a perfect game going until she walked the last batter. I honestly felt a tiny bit bad for her, but not TOO bad. Them's the breaks.

The defense actually played pretty well for the most part. I think there were three errors, which for this team in a first game is pretty good. We had a few great plays, and a few mental mistakes.

Our new pitcher threw the ball well. They got 7 hits on her--one a homerun--but she had some strikeouts and created a good bit of weak contact. Unfortunately some of it just ended up being out of reach. Overall I thought she did a great job, and especially considering it was her first HS varsity start on a team with a bunch of girls she didn't know until a month ago.

The opponent, who is typically a .500-ish team in a much stronger division than ours, only had 9 players, so there was no JV game for my kid to pitch. On the upside, DD2's uniform doesn't need washed. I'm presuming she'll pitch JV friday, but I'm not sure.

Next game is Friday. I presume today's practice will focus mainly on hitting. The team we're playing has beaten us the past few years, but they aren't fantastic. They're from the same stronger district, but they don't typically do well there. They've hit well against us, but we had much less experienced pitching the past couple years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles