the natural athelite

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2012
DGD is natural athelite who loves fastpitch,soccer,basketball etc. Always makes every team she goes out for and is a starter. Loves the games, zero desire to practice on her own. Her travel ball coach begs me to take her to a pitching coach, he says she can be a top notch pitcher. I know it takes dedication to be a pitcher. She is just a 10u player in an elite tb organization. Will she change as she matures? I am reluctant to put too much pressure on her. Has anyone come up with a good answer for this type situation?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
DGD is natural athelite who loves fastpitch,soccer,basketball etc....Has anyone come up with a good answer for this type situation?

No.

But, if you listen and watch her, she will tell you what she wants to do. She will tell you by what she does in her spare time.

E.g., my DD#3 broke her leg. She was out shooting hoops by herself two days later. We had to have the cast re-plastered three time.

Loves the games, zero desire to practice on her own.

Then she doesn't love the game...she loves *PLAYING* the game.

he says she can be a top notch pitcher.

That and a $1.00 will buy you coffee at McDonalds's.

Will she change as she matures?

It is not a question of maturity. Natural athletes love to *PLAY*. For them, not to be in motion is a death sentence. The world is not the same for them as it is for us. Streams are to be jumped, trees are to be climbed, fields are to be ran across.

Look at it this way: If she is the best pitcher in the world, she would only pitch perhaps every other game. If she is the best shortstop in the world, she will play every game. Ask her, "Do you want to watch the game 50% of the time or play 100% of the time?" She probably will pick playing 100% of the time.

It might be she enjoys pitching, but the problem is that it takes away from her other sports, and she isn't willing to let them go to sit and watch 50% of the softball games.

My DD#3 was a natural athlete, and, IMHO, could have been a great pitcher. But, she wasn't. Why? (1) The HS coach gave her some undeserved grief, and my DD said, "Forget it. The track coach wants me anyway." (2) She would have had to give up tennis. (3) She would have had to practice less for basketball (which she really loved). Most kids don't have three sports they can play at the drop of a hat.

My DD#1 was the pitcher. She wasn't a natural athlete. But, she loved throwing the ball, and she loved practicing. Nothing was as good for her as striking out a batter. To DD#3, striking out a batter wasn't a thrill--it was a chore.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2012
Thanks

Thank you for your answers to my questions. You confirmed my thoughts on the issues. I just needed another opinion since we have not had any female athletes in our family. As they say "girls need to have fun to ply well, boys need to play well to have fun".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd