The lost art of bunting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Like many of you out there we recently completed tryout season. We judged players on a wide variety of skills both offensive and defensive. One thing that struck me as I watched player after player was how it seems like the art of bunting has been lost.

The biggest flaw was a tendency for hitters to swat at the ball instead of receive it. To lay down a good, soft bunt you need to catch the ball with the bat -- pull back on it slightly as the ball makes contact, like a soccer player trapping a pass. Instead, what I saw a lot of was players punching the bat toward the ball as it came in.

I'm not sure why that's happening. Maybe coaches aren't spending as much time on bunting as they used to. In this era of hotter bats perhaps it's being abandoned. Or maybe the coaches themselves just don't know how to teach it. In any case, it's nearly impossible to lay down a soft bunt when you're punching at the ball.

A good way to teach "catching" the ball is to tape an old glove onto the end of a short, light bat and have players actually try to catch the ball as it's pitched. They'll figure out very quickly that they have to softly receive it if they have any hope of keeping it in the glove. You can also use a lacrosse stick, although you may have to use baseballs to get them to fit into the basket.

Bunts that are hit too hard become easy outs. A bunt that only travels about 10 feet from the plate gives the bunter a much better chance of making it on base because the fielders have to run further to reach the ball. The only way to make that happen is to use a soft bunting technique.

More...

Jan 15, 2009
I agree that its dissapointing to see players who can't bunt well. It's supposed to be easy :). The other problem you have bunts that come off too hot is that it allows the defense a better chance to go after the lead runner.

It almost seems that with the explosion of slapper/draggers that the straight hitters feel they don't have a bunting role to play and don't commit to mastering it. We never run a hitting practice without having at least one bunting station, and bunting is part of our pregame warm up routine, yet I have kids that when asked to SAC bunt will foul off two pitches and have to start their at bat with an 0-2 count. To me failing to get a SAC bunt down in an at bat is worse than striking out looking. I have had kids that would purposefully foul off pitches when asked to bunt, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

My other pet peeve is batters who will pull the bat back on a called strike when asked to bunt. If it's close lay it down!!!!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Another thing I see is hitters tend to get into a very low stance when they're going to bunt, and often it means they're going up to try to get the bunt down instead of moving downward. Lots of attempts wind up going backwards instead of forward.

I know what you mean about bunts coming off too hot, or hitters pulling the bat back on a strike. I think the latter is lack of confidence in their ability to bunt. Instead of being aggressive they're looking for the "perfect" pitch.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Maybe it's because bunting isn't as "glamorous" as getting a big hit that it's not as popular, or maybe many coaches don't teach it right, or are uncertain when to use the different types of bunts?

My daughter is never happy when we get to the bunting section of our 1 on 1 batting practices, but she bunts better then many since she does practice. I know when she's at bat she prefers to hit, but will do what is instructed.

As a side note: her LL all star team was beat in part by two little (for their age 11/12) girls who bunted very well for hits. I remember when the first girl came up to bat (against my daughter) and I thought "I doubt this kid can hit out of the infield". Well she didn't need to! She laid a perfect bunt down the third base line and easily beat the throw to first since the 3rd baseman was playing back. Well the next girl, who was equally small, did the same thing!. The next time they were up parents were yelling for the 3rd baseman to play in, but she really didn't have the experience so we were beat again. As a parent in the stands it was very frustrating knowing what was about to happen! Cudos to the other team though! (Exton PA LL)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish