The Hugo Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
wow. those are some crazy pitching mechanics.
supposed to be a screwball, I suppose.

If you wanted to throw inside to a batter that's about the last way you'd do it right? Gives them the best line of site on the ball, biggest decision window to get out of the way of it rides in on them and and if it DOESN'T get inside basically sits fat at over the plate...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hugo_Prep_Work.gif

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I hear that Hugo bunted yesterday w/ runners on 1st/2nd, and her team trailing 5-1.

Week before, game tied 1-1 in 6th, and she bunted a runner over to 2nd w/ 0 outs. I watched that one, and I really don't get how you sacrifice Hugo, who was batting 6th (she had doubled earlier in the game) to bring up your #7 and #8 hitters in a game where you have scored in 5 innings.

I know Hugo hasn't had a great year, but what the hut is that?

Jan 7, 2013
Hugo was in the 3 spot yesterday. She had the Emanuel sisters on 1 and 2. It was a great call with the 4 and 5 batters up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Hugo was in the 3 spot yesterday. She had the Emanuel sisters on 1 and 2. It was a great call with the 4 and 5 batters up.

Is she batting third so that she can bunt? They're down 5-1. Auburn has a great offense. I don't think it's realistic to think you're going to win 6-5 or 7-6 at that point. Probably going to need 8+ (or 12, as it turned out). In a game like that, I don't see how UGA can afford to sacrifice a player with some 70 career HR. Unless they think she's really a mere .300 hitter who isn't what she used to be.

Jan 7, 2013
Is she batting third so that she can bunt? They're down 5-1. Auburn has a great offense. I don't think it's realistic to think you're going to win 6-5 or 7-6 at that point. Probably going to need 8+ (or 12, as it turned out). In a game like that, I don't see how UGA can afford to sacrifice a player with some 70 career HR. Unless they think she's really a mere .300 hitter who isn't what she used to be.

Seeing how the Series played out, I think if the strategy to bunt her on that play worked out with the 4 and 5 batters actually getting hits, or crushing them like they're capable of, the series would have gone the other way. Auburn didn't win the first game on a walk off. The walk off wouldn't wouldn't have happened if the play would have been made by Summerlin on the chopper by Howard, or the pitcher fields the hit by Carasone that went between her legs.

I'm more baffled by UGA intentionally walking Cooper with 2 outs. Granted Cooper is a stud, but Rhoades (the other HR leader on the team) is right behind her with a equally dangerous bat. I think this was the pivot point in the game for Auburn. UGA showed their fear and AU jumped on it.

Oct 19, 2009
I had the opportunity to watch Hugo play Friday and Saturday against Alabama last weekend (first time to see her in person), she was fun to watch, she hit one homerun and it left the park in a hurry, she impressed me with her athleticism, hustle and her enthusiasm for the game.

May 3, 2014
I had the opportunity to watch Hugo play Friday and Saturday against Alabama last weekend (first time to see her in person), she was fun to watch, she hit one homerun and it left the park in a hurry, she impressed me with her athleticism, hustle and her enthusiasm for the game.

One of my former HS players came back to visit us at practice yesterday. Her team played Georgia in the regionals and I asked what her impression was of Alex Hugo. Her response was that not only is she very athletic - she is a great teammate. As an example Hugo made an unproductive out, but came back to the dugout and was immediately at the top of the dugout cheering for her teammates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi