The best way to stand on first base to steal second base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
A Biomechanical Analysis of Two Softball Base Stealing Techn... : Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise

The Rocker Start was faster than the Sprint Start across the five velocities. Also, the velocity curves were different for the two starts causing the interaction effect. No differences were found between the reaction times of the two starts. Therefore, it was concluded that the Rocker Start, due to it's greater linear velocity during the first 15 ft of displacement, is a more effective base stealing technique.

This should put this to rest !

You can also go to the NFCC and the rocker step is disussed and the reasons why.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shilpaworld2

i agree with MTR.This gives the player a running start. With your method, the runner cannot move toward 2B until the ball is released, therefore while one foot is closer to 2B, it requires a dead-stop start.

Feb 4, 2010
It's simple Newtonian physics

To start, this isn't a call an umpire guesses. If an umpire calls a runner for leaving early, odds are that runner left early especially at the NCAA level. If you believe an umpire can be smoozed into or out of this call, what does that say about the NCAA and the quality of the umpires they contract?

This isn't anything new. Even SP players have been timing pitches reaching the plate and moving based upon anticipation of the ball reaching the plate for years. Opinions aside, I think physics would dictate that a mass in motion is moving at a higher rate of speed than one motionless. If you truly thinks this is something that is nothing more than a step, you haven't seen this executed properly. The block (base) to which you refer will also be used by the runner in motion, so I have no idea why you believe it to be an advantage.

OTOH, Stacie is correct that some people just are not comfortable

Inertia - Newton's first law of motion... it's that simple

i really don't like rocking back... i just like timing it out and get that jump off the base by leaning forward and timing the pitcher and the runner is on the move as it comes out of the pitchers hand

Dec 28, 2008
Newton's first law is actually paraphrased - "An object in motion will stay in motion and an object at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force" or "A body persists in a state of uniform motion or of rest unless acted upon by an external force." He never wasted his time stating that an object in motion is moving faster than something at rest. The "external force" mentioned in his first law would be the pushing off on the base from the "track" start or else that base runner would just stand there indefinitely.

When we look at that force exerted by the runner on the bag we can also look to Newton ...

Newton's third law is paraphrased - ''To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction: or the forces of two bodies on each other are always equal and are directed in opposite directions''. Importance being that a standing start doesn't provide nearly the same force backward that would thus propel forward as the track start does.

I teach girls both ways so that those who are willing to practice and get their timing down so that they can leave early can use that method, but girls that are more comfortable taking the track start, or aren't willing to put the practice time in to getting the timing down, or who leave late for fear of getting called out for leaving early can use that method.

PS - Interesting thing is that Newton's second law is Force = Mass * Acceleration which is what should be applied to hitting. So I'm thinking he was really into fastpitch softball.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
The division one coach is talking about a game where you have three umpires and leaving early is much easier to detect. The two umpire set up is much tougher for the umpires to monitor the leave time unless it is really early. I would say for most runners it doesn't matter because the difference is so small they will be out either way. I was watching Arizona a couple of years ago and their fastest runner started with her back foot on the bag and no one came close to throwing her out. Use the way your runner gets the best jump while maintaining her balance so she can get back if needed.

Mar 13, 2010
That's a great coaching strategy, tell a D1 ump he must be confused because he just called your runner out for leaving early and there's no way that she could have left early because you practice that move all the time.
Please tell you're kidding.
And no, I won't give away any secrets as to how we are instructed, trained, and directed to handle this call. But trust me, if you cheat on the play, we'll catch you. We actually do know what we're doing out there.

Jul 28, 2008
I liked what Larry Ray said at a clinic I went to awhile back, if your runners are not getting called out on occasion, they are not getting a good enough jump.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1