The best thing my DD and I have done all year.....period!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
I am an AC coach for our TB Club's 16A team....our founder and director, asked all 14 (I think) teams to show up and help with an organization called "The Exceptional's"....which is a weekly softball event for special needs children and adults from all over the midwest with 225 participants....these special athletes need a "mentor" or two for the evening to help them hit off a tee and get around the bases. Some have mental issues, some physical, and some have both, but it was a special night and all those challenges go away for a while and everyone is just trying to have some fun and enjoy being outside on the ball field ....

The director also asked coaches and players to donate $5.00 each, even though it wasn't mentioned by the people who run the weekly event....in all we collected over $1,200, which should be enough to pay for their season ending pic-nic next week....I am lobbying for it to be an annual event now for the club now....there were lots of smiles, new friendships made and I am very proud and appreciative to all the brave athletes who let us share an evening with them and their familes and friends....as someone who grew up with a special needs cousin...I will never forget last night....it was the best thing my DD and I have done all year.....period!

Exceptionals 8.jpgExceptionals 6.jpgExceptionals 3.jpg

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
That is awesome. I know my DD does teacher assist for 1 period in the special needs class at the HS, she loves it. I wish more stories like this would surface.

Apr 1, 2010
We were there too. It was wonderful! I definitely think the organization should do this again. I had a cousin who was severely autistic; there wasn't anything like this for him when we were growing up.

DD was pretty reflective in the car on the way home. She said she was lucky; I said we have a lot to be thankful for.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD team is doing the same thing for an organization in our area next weekend. It's nice for the girls who have been so blessed to give back to others not as fortunate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole