Testing the TB water

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Sorry I haven't been checking up with you guys. After a fairly disappointing All-Star season I was in no mood to post. I was always taught if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

So now we're back at it looking to tryout for some local Travel Ball teams and make the jump from rec to TB. As of right now DD is has been working with a team all week. I was a bit worried being out of our cocoon that has been our home for the past 7 years. I've been emailing any and all coaches who have tryout listing and I've managed to set up DD with a couple tryouts coming up in the next 2 weeks. By the way Eric I noticed Rage is hosting tryouts soon and their listing has catcher positions available, got me thinking, lol. so I have my fingers crossed and we will see if a team bites. DD has been looking really good overall, her speed is the only thing that kills me right now. She just isn't built for speed at 5'2 170lbs but her foot work fielding and catching is awesome and her feel for the game is up there. Not to mention her big bat. All this activity got me excited so I just wanted to chime in and vent.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Sorry I haven't been checking up with you guys. After a fairly disappointing All-Star season I was in no mood to post. I was always taught if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

My regular season suxed mucho too!! I got all depressed because we did really well against good teams in preseason exhibition games. Then regular season we just suxed. Very disappointing with my parents this year too! That why I didnt post for a few month as well. Our all-star season was awesome though!! :cool:

May 24, 2013
So Cal
There are lots of options in OC for your DD, B54, and teams are always interested in a big bat. I have no doubt you will be able to find a good fit for her.

Jun 11, 2013
If she has a big bat I assure you that some team will find a place for her. I see tryouts all the time and see plenty of fast kids, but much fewer that can really hit.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
BCHBUM-

You will quickly find that it is a buyers market in SoCal TB and most teams will want to add her if she has a big bat. There are a few teams that can afford to be picky but not most, but essentially finding a team to say yes is the easy part. The hard part is finding a team that is the right fit. My advice is to take it slowly and not agree to joining a team until you have practiced a few times with them. At this point there is no way i would fork over the start up fees again without my DDs working out with the team several times and playing in a friendly with them. I want to see how the team interacts, how the coaches interact etc. The first team we joined we were so excited we just said yes and forked over money and I regretted it quickly. You may even find that waiting until the fall to join makes a lot of sense. I have a pretty good lay of the landscape for 10s-14s in SoCal so if you have any specific questions about teams feel free to PM me.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Thanks JJ for the call, it was fun talking softball for a minute. Little things like a call from a total stranger who is willing to help out is what makes this site so great. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2015
BCHBUM-

You will quickly find that it is a buyers market in SoCal TB and most teams will want to add her if she has a big bat. There are a few teams that can afford to be picky but not most, but essentially finding a team to say yes is the easy part. The hard part is finding a team that is the right fit. My advice is to take it slowly and not agree to joining a team until you have practiced a few times with them. At this point there is no way i would fork over the start up fees again without my DDs working out with the team several times and playing in a friendly with them. I want to see how the team interacts, how the coaches interact etc. The first team we joined we were so excited we just said yes and forked over money and I regretted it quickly. You may even find that waiting until the fall to join makes a lot of sense. I have a pretty good lay of the landscape for 10s-14s in SoCal so if you have any specific questions about teams feel free to PM me.

Hello I tried to message but you box is full. Want to ask a couple questions. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole