Telling kid what she did wrong when she leaves field or box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
Many coaches follow a player off the field, yell at the player from a distance, or grab her out of the batter's box while she is getting her glove to make her relive a mistake she is already fully versed in her mind about.

I see it at 99% of the games.

One girl hit a double and stopped at second, with the team having a 6-run lead. Her coach yelled from the bench at her. The view from the player was that the fielder had the ball and was getting ready to throw it and the runner explained this in response (also loud). Coach still kept yelling. Team then lost the lead and the game.

I have a way of dealing with mistakes but I want to know if this is standard practice. I got this method from my coach in HS that does not involve any reliving during a game.

I was told by one coach in today's world instant recognition of the error was the way it should be done, the players need it when they screw up, and plus the coach feels he should be allowed to get it off his chest.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I was told by one coach in today's world instant recognition of the error was the way it should be done,

Geez, by 10U a kid knows what they did when they commit an error. Why humiliate a kid still in the field or coming in to bat. There maybe some circumstances where they didn't go to the right base or hit a cut off but glaring errors don't need to be shouted out. A simple "lets get em next time" is usually all the acknowledgement a kid needs. If the Det Tigers coach wasn't yelling from the dugout when two players collided on a pop fly to deep center. Why should a 12U coach.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I've always waited for when the girls were either coming in or going out of the dugout between innings and talked to them as privately as possible. I figured that their parents were doing a fine job embarrassing the kids all by themselves and I didn't need to add to it. I know my players really appreciated this and responded better (in correcting that) than if one of my AC es yelled something across the field.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was told by one coach in today's world instant recognition of the error was the way it should be done, the players need it when they screw up, and plus the coach feels he should be allowed to get it off his chest.

Misplaced my ASA certification book but this is what they recommend, Candrea’s video. If a fielder makes an error the other players should have a physical queue to let them know to forget about it. The example they provide is the all the fielders brushing their glove against their thigh says: Brush it off.

Recognition of the error then forget it.

Close to what you are saying but not quite.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If I see what I perceive is a mental mistake at a minimum I would like to know what the player saw or was thinking that caused them to make the decision they did. Like to know this sooner rather than later while it is fresh in their memory, dugout between innings is fine. Next practice or after the game might be to late.

I have learned the coach should do more asking and listening, lot of times you will learn something.

If I disagree with the Player we can address it at the next practice, or before the next game.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I like the between inning brief discussion before heading into the dugout, while it is still fresh in their minds so that both player and coach end up on the same page. The situation could come right back in the next inning. I'm fortunate as my daughter doesn't play for a "yeller". Her dad used to do enough hollering for everyone. I like to think he finally learned. :cool:

Dec 12, 2009
CT
If she makes an obvious physical mistake (bad throw, misplaying ground ball, ect.) she obviously knows she made an error, and no need to harp on it. In that situation, a little encouragement is the better approach.

If there are corrections to be made, then I think a DISCREET and CONSTRUCTIVE conversation at the next opportunity explaining what she should have done...and why is appropriate (e.g. "next time take a drop step rather than float back on the pop fly" "be sure to pick up the 3B coach on a base hit to RF" etc....)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The method I use and was taught in various coaching clinics/courses was called sandwich:

- Say something positive first ("Great hit, good looking swing, aggressive base running, great try etc, etc... You can always find something)
- Discuss. listen and coach constructively second ("What happened, we need to make sure next time, how could we make the play next time - reminders basically"
- Say something positive last ("Let's make the next out, Next girl hits to your position so be ready to make the play, really did like that swing, unlucky this time/we'll be lucky next time, etc, etc...)

I also prefer to do it in person if possible... not yelling at someone from the dugout. I've even called a time out to walk and discuss something with a runner if I really, really feel I need to talk to them right at that very instant.

This has always worked well for me for 95% of players. You do get the odd player who responds better to being yelled at or the one who responds better by being left alone altogether. Not many though and then tend to be the ones where the competitive fire naturally burns hard and deep.

May 14, 2010
1. Those shoes really look good with your clean glove.
2. If you would put the glove in the dirt next time, the ball wouldn't get past you. Again.
3. Since your glove is so clean, you should be able to get a good grip on the ball next time!

Is that it?

But seriously, I try really hard to follow this strategy. I have also been known to scold a player's glove when they get to the dugout. I give a tongue in cheek lecture to the glove, but the point always gets through in a humorous way. "Hey, glove. Come over here. All right. We all saw what happened out there. You forgot to help Anna field that ground ball coming your way. I know it was hit pretty hard, but that's your job out there. you have to help Anna make that play. So next time, focus and make the play. Now, go over there, sit on the ground and concentrate on making plays, while Anna goes and makes up for you at the plate." I like silly crap like that as it fulfills the need to discuss the mistake, but at the same time, hopefully helps keep from applying too much pressure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd