Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Ive always thought if your team cant hit off of a pitcher theres no way bunting is going to win it.
We won several games over the years (and lost some as well) that we probably didn't "deserve" to by using bunts to get runners on base when we weren't hitting off of a pitcher. I've watched the floodgates open when the other team mishandles a bunt or 2, or your batter beats one out, then you finally put together a couple of hits. Something about just seeing the ball in play seems to give the following batters more confidence. You seem to assume that all bunts are meant to be sacrifices. I'm not a big fan of selling out to sacrifice in most situations, but I love trying to bunt for hits. If you aren't hitting off of a pitcher why not try and force the other team to make some plays?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
A little bunt story.....I may or may not have already shared this here before?

2018 State Championship final game, for ALL the marbles! We're playing a clearly better team than us, and they've proved it before. Starting pitcher is a commit to Syracuse (at that time). We're in the 5th or 6th inning (?), our 2 hole hitter is up and Anna is on deck. Anna is really the only one who's had any success against this pitcher, two hits and a walk if I remember correctly.

Our 2 hole hitter has wheels, she slap bunts a ball that changes the direction of the 3B, she backhands the ball and throws the ball over the 1B's head, my runner is standing on 2B. So instead of one out and no one on, I have a runner on second and no outs. Other team calls time out.

I'm coaching 1B, HC is at 3B, I motion for him to bunt Anna now! He's like WHAT?? She's the only one who's hurt this pitcher....."BUNT HER NOW!!"

She lays down a great bunt, moves the runner to third, one out. Next girl hits a ball deep enough to tag and score, we win by one run!

I remember Anna telling me later she was going to bunt whether the HC called for a bunt or not, that they wouldn't expect her to bunt! :)

Bunting is situational, had that throw not gone over the 1B's head.....would I have bunted her, heck no! Bottom line bunting is a weapon, a tool that can change a game, that will always be my bunt story, I think it was a game changer!

I had the HC tell me later that I made 3 or 4 calls in that game that probably won us the State Championship, that bunt, a stupid steal call that was risky but payed off, and two delayed steals at the right time with the two perfect girls I needed on base. I told him I just made the calls, the girls are the ones who executed the plays! What a fantastic night that was!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A little bunt story.....I may or may not have already shared this here before?

2018 State Championship final game, for ALL the marbles! We're playing a clearly better team than us, and they've proved it before. Starting pitcher is a commit to Syracuse (at that time). We're in the 5th or 6th inning (?), our 2 hole hitter is up and Anna is on deck. Anna is really the only one who's had any success against this pitcher, two hits and a walk if I remember correctly.

Our 2 hole hitter has wheels, she slap bunts a ball that changes the direction of the 3B, she backhands the ball and throws the ball over the 1B's head, my runner is standing on 2B. So instead of one out and no one on, I have a runner on second and no outs. Other team calls time out.

I'm coaching 1B, HC is at 3B, I motion for him to bunt Anna now! He's like WHAT?? She's the only one who's hurt this pitcher....."BUNT HER NOW!!"

She lays down a great bunt, moves the runner to third, one out. Next girl hits a ball deep enough to tag and score, we win by one run!

I remember Anna telling me later she was going to bunt whether the HC called for a bunt or not, that they wouldn't expect her to bunt! :)

Bunting is situational, had that throw not gone over the 1B's head.....would I have bunted her, heck no! Bottom line bunting is a weapon, a tool that can change a game, that will always be my bunt story, I think it was a game changer!

I had the HC tell me later that I made 3 or 4 calls in that game that probably won us the State Championship, that bunt, a stupid steal call that was risky but payed off, and two delayed steals at the right time with the two perfect girls I needed on base. I told him I just made the calls, the girls are the ones who executed the plays! What a fantastic night that was!

This is not as offensive as many sac bunts, but you assume the outcome would've been less favorable had she not bunted.

If the next hitter strikes out and the following hitter grounds out, you're forever wondering why you took the bat out of your best hitter's hands with the go-ahead run in scoring position.

Was the bunt attempt a true sacrifice or was she trying to get on base and just happened to be thrown out?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
This is not as offensive as many sac bunts, but you assume the outcome would've been less favorable had she not bunted.

If the next hitter strikes out and the following hitter grounds out, you're forever wondering why you took the bat out of your best hitter's hands with the go-ahead run in scoring position.

Was the bunt attempt a true sacrifice or was she trying to get on base and just happened to be thrown out?
Oh I get everything you’re saying, it just all worked out the way I had planned it in my mind. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don’t! Gladly it worked out!

The bunt was to get on, she was called out on a bang bang play that everyone there thought the ump missed, ended up being a somewhat heated exchange between the ump and our HC. I know the opposing coach pretty well, he had the 1B side dugout, he told me later that Anna was absolutely safe at 1B.

Regarding your first sentence, I wanted that run, that’s the one we needed, runs and even base runners were tough to come by. The pitcher we were facing is just shutdown good, we’ve never beat her before. She’s got the best riseball we’ve ever faced, in either HS ball or Travel ball, true D1 talent!

We’ve had week long practices before just preparing for her and pitch selection, she’s one of the best two strike setup pitchers I’ve ever seen!

So that one run was crucial, and like I said, it all worked out! Thanks for the question, love discussing what if scenarios!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

There is nothing to assume.
They executed a strategy utilizing a bunt and won!

Can always look to the past and say could have, should have, would have, but in that case it is already a fact!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Think when coaches say things like 'we lost because we didn't bring our bats'
is a lousy excuse to not putting the ball in play.

What they really didn't bring was strategy.

Bunting is just far easier to put the ball in play.
Simply so.
So much so that once batters are reliable, runners can get a giant distance advantage to being safe at the next base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00