Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not if you do it right and with the right player. Yes, a plain ol' bunt without any strategy will yield outs. DD has a teammate that will get on base 95% of the time if she taps and goes. Nearly impossible to defend, even if you know it's coming. There is a reason players like this bat .485. This player will rarely get an XBH, but dang it's fun to watch.

Yep. Super-speedy players with good short-game skills are tough outs. What also happens is the defense rushes their throw in an effort to try to get the batter out, and the ball ends up in the RF corner, and everyone scores. I saw this yesterday.

The former leadoff batter for my DD's 18U team had a good sneaky bunt as a RH. Despite having decent power, she could also reliably execute a good bunt down the 1B line, and usually beat out a surprised defense.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs, game tied, I am putting my best bunter in the box. Going to get to 2nd and 3rd with one out. Now there is little chance of double play and a good chance to score. If there is speed on 3rd base, I might bunt again. Squeeze, semi squeeze. Puts a lot of pressure on defense even at the highest level.
Every player on the team should be capable of bunting.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Last tournament our coach was calling bunts every inning.......no reason in my eyes. Runner at first, two outs.....bunt. Nobody on base, two outs...bunt. Ive always thought of a bunt as a sacrifice, to sacrifice an out to move a runner. But what good is it with two outs in any situation. 14U, 16U level......what am I missing here? Let me know your thoughts, please!

Well, I never sacrifice bunt because I like scoring as many runs as possible. There's nothing at all wrong with bunting with two outs.

Bunting can be a weapon, especially in softball. I don't know the coach or the team or the opponent or anything about the situation you described, but I can think of a lot of reasons to bunt in that situation. Maybe the hitter can't hit that pitcher but she's a solid bunter. Maybe the third baseman is playing waaaay back. Maybe the pitcher has proven earlier in the game she's not much of a fielder. Maybe the coach thinks a good, surprise bunt will catch a good defense off guard.

Really, a sac bunt is the last (and worst) reason you should bunt in almost every situation.

May 10, 2021
Great time to bunt is after an extra base hit or even better a HR.

Slappers bunting for a hit? Or a speed player? Sure.

I agree with other posters about runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs.

Randomly? Probably not.

I

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Depends on how the game is going. How well the pitcher is pitching. Where the defense is positioned. Maybe the game is already lost so let’s practice situational type stuff. Could be any number of reasons.

Dec 11, 2010
Bunting because “the defense might not be looking for it” = just plain dumb.

Bunting because you have a runner on first with less than two outs = yawn. Wake me up when you are done giving away outs and shortening your own offensive innings.

Bunting because you have a plan to cause chaos and score runs without automatically giving up an out… that’s fun. Not every coach has the right team to do this but it’s sure fun to see. I’ll say this- even if you have speed, if the team can’t hit too, this usually won’t work.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
one thing i witnessed previously, is a coach literally had a line up with 3 players that were bunt only, no matter what at the plate. I thought it was crazy when I witnessed players bunting with 2 strikes and also 2 outs.

Made for a bunch of ugly games to watch.

Feb 24, 2021
Twin Cities
Like others have said, impossible to judge without being there and seeing what is going on. Other than reasons already stated, it could be a simple as "forcing" the 3rd baseman to play up.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Maybe Altuve should have bunted this past, cough cough, series instead of on a 2-0 count watching a meat-pitch dead center in the striezone go by...and then striking out swinging on a very low not gonna be a strike inside pitch later in the count.
...And I don't even watch baseball but I happened to flick to the channel randomly and saw the cheaters at bat. Hint no respect for those players.
... Oh wait I think the last series a year ago in the MLB World Series they bunted and scored a run.
Little snarky fun there...
Edit: i better put some smiley emoji's so dont kick anyones ego's 😀😃😄😁😆

*****People use small ball because it's a strategy they see defeat other teams that's why people use strategy.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It is, but honestly Im not sure the last time I watched a baseball game and someone bunted....or is the desired outcome any different?
It is not baseball... 90' baselines make it way different than 60' - there is very little margin for error. Softball strategy can be different depending on the situation, player personnel, and fielding quality. 60' does mean that if you have the players, it can be a weapon way more easily in softball. Of course, 200' fences make that HR hit look good as well...

Without being there it is hard to say what is too much or too little (it sounds like too much from your description) or even a good idea.

In baseball, statistically, it is better to hit away in most circumstances; but even when it isn't. they won't because it either 'is against the unwritten rules' (BS), it is just not macho enough for them (also BS) or 'they never practice it is hard to execute' (excuse).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA