tell me if im wrong or just help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
thanks for all your great ideas and we will try. we will start working on them. will try and take some videos of her at pitching practice tonight. i will try and get her other pitches and see if it just here drop or if she is doing it on all of them... any drills or ways you know of that i can help here fix it would be greatly app.
thanks

May 7, 2008
DFW
Hill

While this is difficult to tell at the speed I am watching I am going to say she is not letting her hand get past her back hip before she is turning the hip. I state this based on the back view. Not the side view. If it was in slow motion then I could tell better from the side. From the back her hand is going around her body and is not tight to the body. If you have a camera that will do slow motion or can look at slow motion look to see if the hip is coming forward before the hand. My money is on the hip before the hand. Should be hand before the hip.

On the change up she isnt opening up at all and she is trying to guide it to the catcher instead of throw it. Her belly button stays pointing at the catcher the whole time she throws the pitch. She needs to keep her arm speed the same as the fastball and throw the ball. Not guide it. She also needs to get open at release. She got lucky with that change on the film. She will not be consistent with it doing it the why she is right now.

Dana.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD's right shoulder never rotates down, which is a pretty common problem with her shoulder. The shoulder should start up at 12 and then rotate down at release. The shoulder is going to move about 8 to 12 inches down from 12 to release.

Watch Finch's shoulder (not her arm, her shoulder) during this pitch.

Your DD doesn't do this. Look at her shoulders. They are level at release. This causes her whole body to be twisted to toward 1b at release.

courtney-shoulde&#.JPG

First, have your DD watch the Finch video above and tell her to watch Finch's shoulder. She should see the shoulder going up at 12 and then down at release.

Next, have her do some long distance overhand throwing, and ask her to pay attention to her shoulder. She should feel her right should drop at the beginning of the overhand throwing motion, and then go up at release of the ball. Explain that when throwing underhand, it is reverse. She raises the shoulder up at the beginning and then down at release.

Next, have her do half frames. A "half frame" is where she is standing open, facing 3B, and then she raises the ball above her head, and throws. You stand behind her and put your hand on the top of her shoulder. Push down on her shoulder as she throws.

Next, go to pitching. If you are catching her, she should be leaning slightly to the 3B side. If she leaning to the 1B side, she is doing it wrong. And, yes, you had better wear a face mask or you will lose some teeth.

This isn't going to be fixed in one practice session. She needs to be doing a lot of half frames and a lot of work on this. The payoff is going to be increased speed with much better control.

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
hey thanks i think it is here hip too i think that all the years of pitching coach telling here to close her hips harder has made her close it too early i have been trying to work on that with here but its going to be a long process.... thanks for your reasurance that i was somewhat right:confused:
Slugger thank to you too i never noticed her shoulder thats why i put it on here hoping somebody would see what i wasnt.. thanks again....

May 7, 2008
DFW
Hill

If your transferring it from your phone to your PC then open once its on the PC open the vid with Quicktime viewer. You can grab the video and move it with your pointer very slow. You will be able to see it for yourself that way. Pretty easy to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi