Teenage players and team chemistry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2021
As a new/young coach, you will also have to earn their respect and trust. Continually show them that that you care about them and the sport. Be confident! Be a student of the game yourself, show them that learning is a constant. Connect with them as individuals, don’t try to force the same instructional styles on everyone. Be flexible and patient, some things may not look like they are working for a while, some may never work.
I like this advice, I am always willing to learn and make changes to my coaching style. Flexibility comes easy to me, patience does not. I'm able to admit that, but I'm working on it!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Anyone have any advice on how to make teenage softball players build better team chemistry? It is a struggle trying to get my 16u team to mesh well and trust/communicate/respect each other.
Chemistry ~
Just a piece of info that may get overlooked.
They dont have to like, or be like eachother to be a team.
They have to learn to put their difference aside
and pull it together.

Simply most of the time a group of people are not going to have a whole bunch of common factors that draw them together. More common would be that everybody has their own individuality with a few similarities to only a few others. When people do not have common denominators they come across as the oddball. Sometimes everybody can start feeling like the Oddball and seems like no one fits in.
Think about what diversity is...
Diversity is that we are all different!
If we can find a common denominator together then we can become invested in the same goal...
In this case
~that is softball
The common denominator!
Can be a team compiled of Diversity
= no odd balls

The good thing about diversity is that it has many facets and assets! Have your team look at 'to' eachother and see what they can bring as individuals. Because they have so much diversity they can be stronger by having many talents and personalities.

Good luck
Screenshot_20210923-080048_Chrome.jpg
Other social things like food and music can connect people.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019
I like this advice, I am always willing to learn and make changes to my coaching style. Flexibility comes easy to me, patience does not. I'm able to admit that, but I'm working on it!
I have found that my patience wears thin faster when my expectations are too high. Every once in a while, I have to remind myself that they are still kids, and having them perform to adult ideals is sometimes achievable, but not always. Encourage the growth, but don't expect immediate results.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Diversity was very noticeable on college road trips.
Because we spent so much time traveling together and staying at hotels and hustling off to fields to play games... got to see teammates a lot more hours in the day. That really exposes people's habits and individuality.
Becomes important to recognize we each have our own 'things and stuff' that we hope others will respect. We need to be aware of ourselves to be able to respect others and recognize others can then intern respect us.

Jun 8, 2016
Diversity was very noticeable on college road trips.
Because we spent so much time traveling together and staying at hotels and hustling off to fields to play games you got to see people a lot more hours in the day and that really exposes people's habits and individuality. Becomes important to recognize we each have our own things and stuff that we hope others will respect we need to respect ourselves to be able to respect others and recognize others can then intern respect us
You took your wisdom pills today Rad..I like it... :p

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You took your wisdom pills today Rad..I like it... :p
Little added fun
When i coached at Long Beach State was responsible for driving one of the teams vans.
I remind everybody that somebody else made the decision that that would be okay...lol
Talk about Adventures lots of diverse Adventures!

Of which I absolutely do not think it would be okay in today's standards and policies in college but dang it was fun 😄
Every player got a little something on the road trip if they wanted to visit a garage sale or stop at a certain restaurant or listen to different music and even quiet time for those that required that.

Jun 8, 2016
Little added fun
When i coached at Long Beach State was responsible for driving one of the teams vans.
I remind everybody that somebody else made the decision that that would be okay...lol
Talk about Adventures lots of diverse Adventures!

Of which I absolutely do not think it would be okay in today's standards and policies in college but dang it was fun 😄
Every player got a little something on the road trip if they wanted to visit a garage sale or stop at a certain restaurant or listen to different music and even quiet time for those that required that.
Yeah..we drove down South in a van and the coach didn't like to stop so we urinated in Gatorade bottles..that might not go over well anymore
if found out..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yeah..we drove down South in a van and the coach didn't like to stop so we urinated in Gatorade bottles..that might not go over well anymore
if found out..
Hahaa well we didnt do that but there were a few extra pit stops made.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom