Teenage players and team chemistry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
On a serious note the only thing you should require from a player is that they are not a disruption so that any player feels uncomfortable to the point
where it effects their play. Softball is not a team sport in the way basketball or football is..you don't have to pass to anybody or block for anybody. Each player has to win their individual "battle" (whether it be with the pitcher,batter, ground ball, fly ball,etc). Outside of the occasional sacrifice bunt, what is good for the individual is good for the team. If a player cannot manage that requirement then they can be shown the door..
gotta disagree a little here. correct to some extent, but there are lots of interdepencies in softball

P/C . . this could be a entire thesis

IF/1B . 1B has to trust that fielders are going to try to make the best throw they can . . . IF needs to trust 1B to will do their utmost to erase their mistakes (ie non ideal throws)

P has to depend that if she makes a mistake, everyone behind her is busting their rear to mitigate it, not just making average effort because, hey, they didnt give up that shot to the corner.

batter/baserunner . BR has to know that on a hit and run situation, batter is doing everything in their power to put the ball in play, or at worst foul it off.

C / MI catcher has to believe that MI will field a not perfect throw cleanly and still apply tag, and has to depend on OF to be calling out loudly when the runner goes.

General, when someone calls everyone else off, they all have to believe it was because the player calling felt they had the best angle/shot at it.

Jul 31, 2015
DD's coach has flat-out told his team that he doesn't care if they hate each other, they have to get along on the field and that's it. I think it takes a lot of pressure off them when they don't feel like they need to be friends, that being teammates is enough.

Yes. But only to a certain extent.

If the chemistry interferes with their ability to play....like if some of them are rooting for others to fail, or the defense is failing the pitcher, or if they're hurling balls at each others head in practice, then the hate is a problem.

Reminds me of the Giants catcher who got moved to AAA because he couldn't synch with some of their pitchers. Pretty clear they want to keep Buster around.

Jun 8, 2016
IF/1B . 1B has to trust that fielders are going to try to make the best throw they can . . . IF needs to trust 1B to will do their utmost to erase their mistakes (ie non ideal throws)
For the most part each of these are individual efforts which are not effected by the other person. I mean I guess an IF might not try a difficult throw if the 1b is not adequate 🤷🏽‍♂️
P has to depend that if she makes a mistake, everyone behind her is busting their rear to mitigate it, not just making average effort because, hey, they didnt give up that shot to the corner.
I'll give you this since a pitcher can get in trouble if they think they have to make a perfect pitch every time.
batter/baserunner . BR has to know that on a hit and run situation, batter is doing everything in their power to put the ball in play, or at worst foul it off.
Batter has a job to do as does the runner..neither depends on the other for their success ( if batter doesn't put the ball in play it isn't a failure of the BR if they are thrown out)
C / MI catcher has to believe that MI will field a not perfect throw cleanly and still apply tag, and has to depend on OF to be calling out loudly when the runner goes.
Ok I will agree about being aware and verbal when necessary..on throw downs C and MI both have jobs to do which are not effected by the other person.

General, when someone calls everyone else off, they all have to believe it was because the player calling felt they had the best angle/shot at it.
Eh..unsure about this one..maybe.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019
Respect and trust need to be there. Cliques kill both trust and respect. At 16, many ingrained habits will be difficult to break, so creating new positive habits may be tough.

Don’t do the 1:1 calls (review all of the training you had to do as a coach in youth sports).

Maybe find some competitive drills that force them to rely on people who are not in their normal cliques?

May 6, 2015
Each of these are individual efforts which are not effected by the other person.

I'll give you this since a pitcher can get in trouble if they think they have to make a perfect pitch every time.

Batter has a job to do as does the runner..neither depends on the other for their success ( if batter doesn't put the ball in play it isn't a failure of the BR if they are thrown out)

Ok I will agree about being aware and verbal when necessary..on throw downs C and MI both have jobs to do which are not effected by the other person.

Eh..unsure about this one..maybe.
in situations like this, fast action, if you are not confident your teamate is trying their best to do their job, most players will ultimately not be doing their part the best. they will hesitate, etc. it may be subconcious, but it is true for most athletes.

Jun 8, 2016
in situations like this, fast action, if you are not confident your teamate is trying their best to do their job, most players will ultimately not be doing their part the best. they will hesitate, etc. it may be subconcious, but it is true for most athletes.
I suppose. I still think it is different than a RH QB trusting his Left Tackle to not get him killed but I see your point.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
You may find that the problem boils down to one or two people. It never ceases to amaze how one toxic personality can infect so many at that age. Ask your kid and assistants what they see. Break up the clicks during warmups and drills.

Jul 31, 2015
You may find that the problem boils down to one or two people. It never ceases to amaze how one toxic personality can infect so many at that age. Ask your kid and assistants what they see. Break up the clicks during warmups and drills.

^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One toxic personality can infect so many at any age.

Dealing with toxic parents rn on a team in a different sport.
It's awful.

Sep 20, 2021
I appreciate everyone’s responses! I just joined this site and am still figuring out how to work it lol you would think I would be better at technology at the age of 24. I read through them all and am gonna try a couple different approaches and see what happens. I forgot to mention, this is also my first time as a head coach right out of college ball so I’m still learning some things. Very very open to trying different methods. Thanks all

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
P/C . . this could be a entire thesis

I don't understand any of this. Sounds like a bunch of ESPN BS.

If a kid isn't giving 100% on the field or batting every play, then the kid shouldn't be on the field.

And, what the heck is "average effort"?

E.g., it doesn't matter if the pitcher made the best pitch of her life or if she grooved on down the middle, if a hitter hits the ball, the fielders are supposed to give 100% effort to catch it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12